Sep 9, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
Qatar World Cup could change dates to due high summer temperatures.
Sep 8, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Qatar World Cup could start in November or January instead of June-July.
Jul 7, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
With the 2022 Olympic host city finalists announced, attention turns to potential future Olympic sites.
May 26, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Nearly 70 percent of public voters were against the bid.
May 22, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Krakow is one of five cities that submitted 2022 bids, but it’s not assured to move forward.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Host city will be chosen in 2015.
Jan 17, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Stockholm’s ruling political party said the Swedish capital will not bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics, two months after it was among six cities announced as bidders. “Arranging a Winter Olympics would mean a big investment in new sports facilities, for example for the bobsleigh and luge,” the Moderate party said in a statement, according…
Jan 8, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
The 2022 World Cup will not be played during the hot summer in Qatar, a FIFA official said, but the proposed time window would not cross into the 2022 Winter Olympics. “The dates of the World Cup will not be in June or July,” FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke told France Inter Radio, according to…
Nov 11, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Stockholm became the sixth entrant into the 2022 Olympic bidding, one day after Munich opted not to bid for the Winter Games. The Swedish capital hosted the 1912 Summer Games. No city has hosted both the Summer and Winter Olympics. Under its 2022 bid plans, the Alpine events would be held in the northern Swedish…
Nov 8, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
FIFA president Sepp Blatter said “consultations” are starting on moving the 2022 Qatar World Cup to the winter, but that it won’t overlap with the 2022 Olympics. “It can only be done in November-December, not January-February,” Blatter told reporters in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, on Friday, according to Agence France-Presse. Blatter is also an International Olympic…
Nov 5, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
Beijing wants to host the Olympics again, but this time it eyes the Winter Games. China sent a nomination letter to the International Olympic Committee proposing a joint Beijing-Zhangjiakou bid for the 2022 Olympics, according to Xinhua News Agency. The deadline for cities to bid for the 2022 Winter Games is Nov. 14. The IOC…
Nov 4, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
The Winter Olympics would surely be affected if the 2022 World Cup is moved to January or February, but even a potential November World Cup in Qatar is being met with concern by winter sports officials. “November is the start of the (winter sports) season for maybe, I would say, all the other federations,” Rene Fasel,…
Oct 14, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Barcelona will not become the first city to host a Summer and Winter Olympics in 2022, according to Spanish outlet SPORT. The newspaper quoted Barcelona mayor Xavier Trias saying a decision had not been made yet on Friday, but that sources told the newspaper an official announcement ending the possible bid city campaign is expected Friday. SPORT…
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)