Marlies Schild retires; impact on Mikaela Shiffrin

Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 AM EST

Marlies Schild, Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Austrian skier Marlies Schild announced her retirement Tuesday, going out as the all-time leader in World Cup slalom wins.

“I’ve lived a dream that I’d held on to since I was a little girl,” Schild said in a Vienna press conference, according to Agence France-Presse. “But the time’s now come for me to move on to something else in my life. From today, my career is over.”

Schild, 33, broke Vreni Schneider‘s record for World Cup slalom victories with her 35th and final win in Lienz, Austria, on Dec. 29. She followed that up with her third straight Olympic slalom medal in Sochi, a silver behind Mikaela Shiffrin.

Schild won four Olympic medals in all, but no golds, and five individual World Championships medals. She succeeded Croatian Janica Kostelic as the world’s dominant slalom skier, winning the World Cup season titles in 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2012.

Schild tore right knee ligaments on Dec. 20, 2012, paving the way for Shiffrin to take over as the No. 1 slalom skier in the world. Shiffrin won the World Cup season slalom titles in 2013 and 2014, the World Championship in 2013 and the Olympics in 2014.

“I am proud that I managed to fight my way back to the top time after time,” Schild said, according to The Associated Press. “I am a fighter and somehow I’ve always found ways to battle back. But now, I can’t ski the perfect slalom anymore. It’s still good, but not as good as in my best years.”

Schild won her first World Cup slalom on Shiffrin’s 9th birthday, March 13, 2004.

When Shiffrin made her first World Cup podium in Lienz on Dec. 29, 2011, she blurted out to the winner Schild.

“Oh my gosh, I’m such a big fan,” Shiffrin said, according to The New York Times. “Well, I’m also on the podium with you. But I’m still a big fan.”

The 2014-15 season begins with a giant slalom in Soelden, Austria, the last weekend of October.

Shiffrin, 19, now enters as an even bigger favorite to become the first woman to win three straight World Cup slalom season titles since Schneider won four straight from 1992-95. Swedes Frida Hansdotter and Maria Pietilae-Holmner are the only other women from the top five of last season’s World Cup standings who haven’t retired.

Shiffrin may also enter her first World Cup speed races this season, as well as continue racing giant slalom.

Berlin, Hamburg submit Olympic bid intentions

Latest Posts
  1. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

2. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

3. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

4. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

5. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

6. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.

7. Louie Vito hopes to stand out after missing Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

Louie Vito Getty Images

Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.

8. Claressa Shields wins first World Championships bout in 11 seconds (video)

Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.

9. Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 15th, 16th in super-Gs in Colorado

Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”

10. Vanessa-Mae faces retroactive Olympic ban

Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST

Vanessa Mae Getty Images

Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.

11. Rio Olympics to have some morning track and field finals

Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST

Shalane Flanagan Getty Images

Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.

12. IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms

Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.

13. Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back

Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.

14. Ryan Lochte unsure who is world’s best swimmer

Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Kosuke Hagino, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.

15. Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona

Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

Lamine Diack

U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

16. Jennifer Kessy, Emily Day form new beach volleyball partnership

Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Jennifer Kessy Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.

17. Bode Miller out until January due to back surgery

Nov 17, 2014, 1:42 PM EST

Bode Miller Getty Images

Miller hopes to return one week before the one storied race he has never won.

18. Peter Forsberg and the Olympics

Nov 17, 2014, 1:16 PM EST

Peter Forsberg Getty Images

Swede being inducted into Hall of Fame authored one of the iconic Olympic moments in 1994.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games