Aug 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
The Olympic spirit was present at the Youth Olympic triathlon competition in Nanjing.
U.S. coach Ian Murray saw the condition of the bike belonging to Solomon Islands triathlete Boris Teddy and decided something had to be done.
“It was sort of the best bike in the Solomon Islands, as I understand it, so it was sent here, but it wasn’t adequate,” Murray said, according to the Youth Olympics Information Service. “The wheel was bent. It was very heavy. The components were very old. It was just a slow bike.”
Murray had brought his own bike to China. So he lent it to Teddy to compete with.
“The facilities in my country are not really good,” Teddy said, according to the report. “For my riding exercise, the roads are bad. We don’t have good roads in the Solomon Islands. There are many potholes and trucks, so I usually train in the morning and evening when it’s a bit quieter.
“For swimming, we don’t have pools, so I swim in the ocean. As for coaches, in preparation for this competition, I didn’t have coaches. I prepared myself.”
Teddy used the bike as part of the mixed relay final, where he teamed with three other athletes (one man, two women) from other nations (Zimbabwe, Bermuda). They finished 16th out of 16 teams, but Teddy said Murray’s bike was much better than his bent one.
“Now that I’ve seen how the others race, and now that I’ve raced against them, I see how they go when swimming, riding and running,” the triathlete said, according to the report. “So now when I go back to the Solomon Islands I have to train harder so that I can catch up to them, to their level.”
NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra‘s coverage of the Youth Olympics continues Friday from 1:30-3:30 p.m. ET and Saturday from 9-11 p.m. ET.
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship 0
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Mike Powell eyes masters world record, possible Olympic trials run at age 51 0
- Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion 0
- Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)