Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Basketball at the Youth Olympics is a little different than usual international competition. The team format is three on three, and medals were awarded in a men’s dunk contest and women’s shootout at the Nanjing Games on Thursday.
France’s Karim Mouliom, a 6-foot, 4-inch, 18-year-old, won gold in the dunk contest (no Americans were in the field), where the three judges included 2008 Olympic silver medalist and former Toronto Raptors forward Jorge Garbajosa.
Mouliom’s most memorable dunk came in the final round in a head-to-head showdown with Slovenia’s Ziga Lah. Mouliom lined up three Hungarian women’s players and leaped over them for a one-handed slam. It scored three 10s from the judges.
Mouliom earlier attempted to dunk with sunglasses on, “cookie jar” style with his forearm inside the rim like Vince Carter at the 2000 NBA Slam Dunk Contest.
Other dunks channeled Dee Brown‘s “no-look” from 1991, Isaiah “J.R.” Rider‘s between-the-legs jam from 1994 and Karl Malone, who often dunked with one hand behind his head.
Spain’s Lucia Togores Carpintero won the shootout by hitting five of 12 shots, including a long-distance effort worth three points. American Katie Lou Samuelson won bronze, making four shots and losing a tiebreaker for silver because she took four tenths of a second longer than a Slovenian to attempt all 12 shots.
More than 60 women took part in the shootout qualifying, with the top four women advancing to the finals.
The Youth Olympics continue with coverage on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday.
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 5
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)