Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Basketball at the Youth Olympics is a little different than usual international competition. The team format is three on three, and medals were awarded in a men’s dunk contest and women’s shootout at the Nanjing Games on Thursday.
France’s Karim Mouliom, a 6-foot, 4-inch, 18-year-old, won gold in the dunk contest (no Americans were in the field), where the three judges included 2008 Olympic silver medalist and former Toronto Raptors forward Jorge Garbajosa.
Mouliom’s most memorable dunk came in the final round in a head-to-head showdown with Slovenia’s Ziga Lah. Mouliom lined up three Hungarian women’s players and leaped over them for a one-handed slam. It scored three 10s from the judges.
Mouliom earlier attempted to dunk with sunglasses on, “cookie jar” style with his forearm inside the rim like Vince Carter at the 2000 NBA Slam Dunk Contest.
Other dunks channeled Dee Brown‘s “no-look” from 1991, Isaiah “J.R.” Rider‘s between-the-legs jam from 1994 and Karl Malone, who often dunked with one hand behind his head.
Spain’s Lucia Togores Carpintero won the shootout by hitting five of 12 shots, including a long-distance effort worth three points. American Katie Lou Samuelson won bronze, making four shots and losing a tiebreaker for silver because she took four tenths of a second longer than a Slovenian to attempt all 12 shots.
More than 60 women took part in the shootout qualifying, with the top four women advancing to the finals.
The Youth Olympics continue with coverage on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday.
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Mike Powell eyes masters world record, possible Olympic trials run at age 51 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)