Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukraine’s Polina Konarieva arrived late for the 10m air pistol team shooting event at the Youth Olympics after oversleeping, costing her and her male teammate from Moldova a chance to win a medal.
The 10m air pistol team event at the Youth Olympics is mixed, meaning shooters from different nations pair up for competition. Konarieva and Moldova’s Ion Aric were scheduled to face a duo from Armenia and Chinese Taipei in the quarterfinals.
“I don’t know what to say to [Aric],” Konarieva said, according to the Nanjing 2014 website, which reported Aric was in tears.
“Yes, there was a lot of emotion,” Aric said, according to the report. “Why she was late, I don’t know why. … She is not responsible for her action. I’m a little angry.”
The Ukrainian’s coach took responsibility after Konarieva, 16, arrived via taxi.
“She was sleeping and woke up at 8 o’clock and went to the station to get a taxi,” the coach said, according to the report. “The driver didn’t know the road, but he said, ‘OK, I know, shooting range … no problem.'”
The Youth Olympics continue with coverage on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday.
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)