Aug 19, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Athletes at the Youth Olympics are trying this new fad called “Yogging.”
It’s a way for more than 3,000 athletes from some 200 nations to connect during the Games in Nanjing, China, in 21st-century style. The Youth Olympics continue with coverage on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Olympic silver medalist ice dancer Tanith Belbin tracked U.S. athletes interacting with counterparts in various sports from around the globe.
To successfully “Yog,” one takes a hand-shaped device about the size of a flash drive and touches it to another device to form what looks like a high-five. The devices glow to show the sync of social media information is complete, according to the Nanjing 2014 website, which reported that Yogging was used at the 2012 Innsbruck Youth Winter Games on a trial basis.
Then take the device and insert it into a USB port to check one’s Yogging stats. An official told Belbin some athletes had more than 100 contacts.
Here’s what the Yogging device looks like:
Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT
Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT
Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?
Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
Two-time Olympian held U.S. mile record until 2007.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”
Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.
Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.
Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.
Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.
Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.
Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.
Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 0
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)