Janet Evans sees parallels with Katie Ledecky

Aug 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

source: Getty Images

Getty Images

Janet Evans remembers the disappointment in Katie Ledecky‘s eyes.

It’s not a look that has been seen recently. Ledecky, a 17-year-old from Bethesda, Md., has been the most impressive swimmer in the world over the last year, breaking and rebreaking freestyle world records from 400m to 1500m.

Her latest breakthrough came in the 400m at the U.S. Swimming Championships in Irvine, Calif., last week. Ledecky snatched Italian Federica Pellegrini‘s world record set at the peak of the high-tech suit era in 2009.

The rising all-girls, prekindergarten-through-12th-grade Catholic school senior became the first woman to simultaneously hold the 400m, 800m and 1500m freestyle world records since the great Evans toted them all as recently as 2006.

Evans, 42, jokes that she’s old enough to be Ledecky’s mother. But they actually swam in the same meet in 2012, when Evans entered the U.S. Olympic Trials for the first time since 1996.

Ledecky won the 800m free at trials (and the Olympics), but Evans chose to reflect on the 400m, where Ledecky came in third place in Omaha. Only the top can make the Olympic team in each individual event, and the 400m came before the 800m at trials.

“I remember seeing how disappointed she was when she didn’t make the team [in the 400m],” Evans said. “I remember thinking, oh, yeah, she wants this. She’s pretty hungry. Then I remember watching her 800, where she just took it out and took no prisoners.”

Evans sees a bit of herself in Ledecky, whom she met for the first time at the Golden Goggle Awards in November, when Ledecky won Female Athlete of the Year.

Evans broke her first world record at 15 and won the first of her four Olympic gold medals at 17. Ledecky won her first Olympic gold medal at 15 and broke her first world record at 16.

“She swims her races a lot like I used to,” Evans said. “I remember that feeling when there’s no one around you [in a race]. You’re just like, what do I do now? You keep swimming.”

Evans learned of Ledecky’s 400m free world record last week when she stopped in Frankfurt, Germany, on the way home from a European vacation.

“My phone blew up,” Evans said.

“The 400 was my favorite race, and it was my favorite record,” said Evans, who held the 400m free world record from 1987 to 2006. “It was against the East Germans in Seoul [1988 Olympics]. It was my favorite race ever. When my world records were broken, I think the 400 hurt me the most because it was like my favorite race. I always wanted an American to get that record back.”

Evans believes Ledecky will continue to swim faster, particularly in the 200m free, but wondered about the pressure that comes with being so good, so young.

“I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to win,” Evans said. “I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to break a world record and it was OK to get second at the 1992 Olympics and get touched out by 19 one-hundredths of a second. As much support as I had from my parents and my coaches, I never had anyone tell me as a young woman that it was OK not to win. And that made swimming not fun for me. And that’s, in hindsight, what I look back on and say, I wish someone had told me that one day I’ll love my silver medal.”

Evans recalled breaking her first world record in 1987 and then getting crushed by Australian Julie McDonald by 10 seconds in the 800m free at the Pan Pacific Championships two weeks later.

“That’s something, too, that I needed warning about,” Evans said. “Once you get there [to the top], there’s less of that I’m going to shock the world and win a gold in London and more of oh, that girl down there in the corner of the world in Australia knows who I am.

“And she’s out to get me.”

Amy Van Dyken-Rouen leaving hospital

Latest Posts
  1. Tatsuki Machida leads Skate America over Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown

Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT

Tatsuki Machida Getty Images

Machida can become first repeat Skate America men’s winner since 2001.

2. Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview

Oct 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Bode Miller, Ted Ligety Getty Images

Austrian eyes history, while Ted Ligety, Bode Miller look to fill resume holes.

3. Elana Meyers Taylor to drive 4-man bobsled with husband as push athlete

Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT

Elana Meyers Taylor AP

New rule allows women to compete in four-man bobsled this year.

4. Shani Davis ‘not completely healed’ from Sochi, still eyes record

Oct 23, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT

Shani Davis Getty Images

Sochi disappointment gave Davis a deeper appreciation for past success going into post-Olympic season.

5. Allyson Felix’s patience pays off in 2014, ready to explore again in 2015

Oct 23, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT

Allyson Felix Getty Images

Felix came back from torn hamstring to post the fastest 200m time since the London Olympics.

6. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America

Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Several U.S. Olympians dot the field in Grand Prix series opener.

7. Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future

Oct 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius is banned from competing during his sentence, even if not in jail, by Paralympic and South African Olympic Committees.

8. Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview

Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Expect to see more of Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn than last year, but neither appears a threat to the world’s best overall skier.

9. Serbia protests Kosovo receiving IOC provisional recognition

Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT

Serbia flag Getty Images

Kosovo, which gained independence from Serbia in 2008, could field an Olympic delegation for the first time in 2016.

10. More Rulon Gardner items to be auctioned

Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

Rulon Gardner AP

Gardner’s Olympic medals were sold last year.

11. Joss Christensen skis remains of Sarajevo 1984 Winter Olympics sites (video)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT

Joss Christensen

Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.

12. IOC provisionally recognizes Kosovo

Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.

13. 2015 Tour de France route unveiled; favorites weigh in

Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT

Tour de France

Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.

14. Russian Olympic bobsled champ Aleksander Zubkov retires

Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT

Alexander Zubkov Getty Images

Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.

15. Jeneba Tarmoh mulls representing Sierra Leone at Rio 2016 Olympics

Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Jeneba Tarmoh Getty Images

Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.

16. IOC to discuss recognizing Kosovo this week

Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.

17. Watch trailers for ‘Touch the Wall’ about Missy Franklin

Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Missy Franklin

Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.

18. Miracle on Ice fantasy camp set for Lake Placid

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Miracle on Ice camp

Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.