Janet Evans sees parallels with Katie Ledecky

Aug 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

source: Getty Images

Getty Images

Janet Evans remembers the disappointment in Katie Ledecky‘s eyes.

It’s not a look that has been seen recently. Ledecky, a 17-year-old from Bethesda, Md., has been the most impressive swimmer in the world over the last year, breaking and rebreaking freestyle world records from 400m to 1500m.

Her latest breakthrough came in the 400m at the U.S. Swimming Championships in Irvine, Calif., last week. Ledecky snatched Italian Federica Pellegrini‘s world record set at the peak of the high-tech suit era in 2009.

The rising all-girls, prekindergarten-through-12th-grade Catholic school senior became the first woman to simultaneously hold the 400m, 800m and 1500m freestyle world records since the great Evans toted them all as recently as 2006.

Evans, 42, jokes that she’s old enough to be Ledecky’s mother. But they actually swam in the same meet in 2012, when Evans entered the U.S. Olympic Trials for the first time since 1996.

Ledecky won the 800m free at trials (and the Olympics), but Evans chose to reflect on the 400m, where Ledecky came in third place in Omaha. Only the top can make the Olympic team in each individual event, and the 400m came before the 800m at trials.

“I remember seeing how disappointed she was when she didn’t make the team [in the 400m],” Evans said. “I remember thinking, oh, yeah, she wants this. She’s pretty hungry. Then I remember watching her 800, where she just took it out and took no prisoners.”

Evans sees a bit of herself in Ledecky, whom she met for the first time at the Golden Goggle Awards in November, when Ledecky won Female Athlete of the Year.

Evans broke her first world record at 15 and won the first of her four Olympic gold medals at 17. Ledecky won her first Olympic gold medal at 15 and broke her first world record at 16.

“She swims her races a lot like I used to,” Evans said. “I remember that feeling when there’s no one around you [in a race]. You’re just like, what do I do now? You keep swimming.”

Evans learned of Ledecky’s 400m free world record last week when she stopped in Frankfurt, Germany, on the way home from a European vacation.

“My phone blew up,” Evans said.

“The 400 was my favorite race, and it was my favorite record,” said Evans, who held the 400m free world record from 1987 to 2006. “It was against the East Germans in Seoul [1988 Olympics]. It was my favorite race ever. When my world records were broken, I think the 400 hurt me the most because it was like my favorite race. I always wanted an American to get that record back.”

Evans believes Ledecky will continue to swim faster, particularly in the 200m free, but wondered about the pressure that comes with being so good, so young.

“I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to win,” Evans said. “I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to break a world record and it was OK to get second at the 1992 Olympics and get touched out by 19 one-hundredths of a second. As much support as I had from my parents and my coaches, I never had anyone tell me as a young woman that it was OK not to win. And that made swimming not fun for me. And that’s, in hindsight, what I look back on and say, I wish someone had told me that one day I’ll love my silver medal.”

Evans recalled breaking her first world record in 1987 and then getting crushed by Australian Julie McDonald by 10 seconds in the 800m free at the Pan Pacific Championships two weeks later.

“That’s something, too, that I needed warning about,” Evans said. “Once you get there [to the top], there’s less of that I’m going to shock the world and win a gold in London and more of oh, that girl down there in the corner of the world in Australia knows who I am.

“And she’s out to get me.”

Amy Van Dyken-Rouen leaving hospital

Latest Posts
  1. U.S., Canada women’s hockey teams renew rivalry at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.

2. How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet

Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.

3. Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans

Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.

4. Madison Chock, Evan Bates take ice dance silver at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.

5. U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program

Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.

6. Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011

Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

AP AP

The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.

7. U.S. pairs outside top five after World Championships short program

Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT

AP AP

A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.

8. Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008

Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.

9. Madison Chock, Evan Bates top World Championships short dance with personal best

Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.

10. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events

Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

AP AP

The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.

11. Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid

Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.

12. Watch USA Luge video promoting fastest sport on ice

Mar 24, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

USA Luge

Olympians Erin Hamlin, Chris Mazdzer star in an inside look at the sport.

13. U.S. would top 2016 Olympic medal standings in virtual projection

Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT

Rio 2016

Tuesday marked 500 days out from the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.

14. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships women’s, ice dance events

Mar 23, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT

Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds Getty Images

Three U.S. women have a shot at the podium, and an American ice dance couple could win gold.

15. Upcoming milestones for Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin

Mar 23, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT

Lindsey Vonn, MIkaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Both skiers may look to branch out next season.

16. Park Tae-hwan, Olympic champion swimmer, banned 18 months

Mar 23, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT

Park Tae-hwan Getty Images

Park tested positive for testosterone on Sept. 3.

17. World Figure Skating Championships schedule

Mar 23, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT

Ashley Wagner Getty Images

Plus, what’s at stake for U.S. skaters in Shanghai.

18. Another world record for 90-plus-year-old relay team (video)

Mar 23, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT

Track and field Masters world record

The oldest competitor at USATF Masters Indoors wants to run a 100m at age 100 at the Penn Relays.

19. Anna Fenninger wins World Cup overall title in tight finish

Mar 22, 2015, 9:56 AM EDT

Anna Fenninger Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn finished ahead of Mikaela Shiffrin.