Janet Evans sees parallels with Katie Ledecky

Aug 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

source: Getty Images

Getty Images

Janet Evans remembers the disappointment in Katie Ledecky‘s eyes.

It’s not a look that has been seen recently. Ledecky, a 17-year-old from Bethesda, Md., has been the most impressive swimmer in the world over the last year, breaking and rebreaking freestyle world records from 400m to 1500m.

Her latest breakthrough came in the 400m at the U.S. Swimming Championships in Irvine, Calif., last week. Ledecky snatched Italian Federica Pellegrini‘s world record set at the peak of the high-tech suit era in 2009.

The rising all-girls, prekindergarten-through-12th-grade Catholic school senior became the first woman to simultaneously hold the 400m, 800m and 1500m freestyle world records since the great Evans toted them all as recently as 2006.

Evans, 42, jokes that she’s old enough to be Ledecky’s mother. But they actually swam in the same meet in 2012, when Evans entered the U.S. Olympic Trials for the first time since 1996.

Ledecky won the 800m free at trials (and the Olympics), but Evans chose to reflect on the 400m, where Ledecky came in third place in Omaha. Only the top can make the Olympic team in each individual event, and the 400m came before the 800m at trials.

“I remember seeing how disappointed she was when she didn’t make the team [in the 400m],” Evans said. “I remember thinking, oh, yeah, she wants this. She’s pretty hungry. Then I remember watching her 800, where she just took it out and took no prisoners.”

Evans sees a bit of herself in Ledecky, whom she met for the first time at the Golden Goggle Awards in November, when Ledecky won Female Athlete of the Year.

Evans broke her first world record at 15 and won the first of her four Olympic gold medals at 17. Ledecky won her first Olympic gold medal at 15 and broke her first world record at 16.

“She swims her races a lot like I used to,” Evans said. “I remember that feeling when there’s no one around you [in a race]. You’re just like, what do I do now? You keep swimming.”

Evans learned of Ledecky’s 400m free world record last week when she stopped in Frankfurt, Germany, on the way home from a European vacation.

“My phone blew up,” Evans said.

“The 400 was my favorite race, and it was my favorite record,” said Evans, who held the 400m free world record from 1987 to 2006. “It was against the East Germans in Seoul [1988 Olympics]. It was my favorite race ever. When my world records were broken, I think the 400 hurt me the most because it was like my favorite race. I always wanted an American to get that record back.”

Evans believes Ledecky will continue to swim faster, particularly in the 200m free, but wondered about the pressure that comes with being so good, so young.

“I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to win,” Evans said. “I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to break a world record and it was OK to get second at the 1992 Olympics and get touched out by 19 one-hundredths of a second. As much support as I had from my parents and my coaches, I never had anyone tell me as a young woman that it was OK not to win. And that made swimming not fun for me. And that’s, in hindsight, what I look back on and say, I wish someone had told me that one day I’ll love my silver medal.”

Evans recalled breaking her first world record in 1987 and then getting crushed by Australian Julie McDonald by 10 seconds in the 800m free at the Pan Pacific Championships two weeks later.

“That’s something, too, that I needed warning about,” Evans said. “Once you get there [to the top], there’s less of that I’m going to shock the world and win a gold in London and more of oh, that girl down there in the corner of the world in Australia knows who I am.

“And she’s out to get me.”

Amy Van Dyken-Rouen leaving hospital

Latest Posts
  1. South Sudan set for Olympic recognition

Jul 28, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A South Sudanese marathon runner competed under a different flag at London 2012.

2. Haley Anderson makes second Olympic team

Jul 28, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Her 17-year-old teammate missed out, though, at the World Championships.

3. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

4. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

5. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

6. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.

7. Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today

Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.

8. Nike makes Ashton Eaton a ‘cooling hood’

Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Nike Cooling Mask Nike

“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”

9. Can Tour de France stars contend for medals at 2016 Olympics?

Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

AP AP

The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.

10. U.S. women dominate en route to FIVB World Grand Prix title

Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.

11. Bill May becomes first man to win World Synchronized Swimming Championship

Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT

AP AP

May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.

12. Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics

Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.

13. Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice

Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.

14. Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

AP AP

Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.

15. Jennifer Wu makes 2016 U.S. Olympic team in table tennis

Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT

AP AP

Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.

16. Simone Biles as powerful as male gymnasts, Jonathan Horton says

Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT

AP AP

“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.

17. Shawn Johnson engaged after throwing first pitch (video)

Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT

Shawn Johnson, Andrew East

Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.

18. Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London

Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

AP AP

Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.