Janet Evans sees parallels with Katie Ledecky

Aug 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

source: Getty Images

Getty Images

Janet Evans remembers the disappointment in Katie Ledecky‘s eyes.

It’s not a look that has been seen recently. Ledecky, a 17-year-old from Bethesda, Md., has been the most impressive swimmer in the world over the last year, breaking and rebreaking freestyle world records from 400m to 1500m.

Her latest breakthrough came in the 400m at the U.S. Swimming Championships in Irvine, Calif., last week. Ledecky snatched Italian Federica Pellegrini‘s world record set at the peak of the high-tech suit era in 2009.

The rising all-girls, prekindergarten-through-12th-grade Catholic school senior became the first woman to simultaneously hold the 400m, 800m and 1500m freestyle world records since the great Evans toted them all as recently as 2006.

Evans, 42, jokes that she’s old enough to be Ledecky’s mother. But they actually swam in the same meet in 2012, when Evans entered the U.S. Olympic Trials for the first time since 1996.

Ledecky won the 800m free at trials (and the Olympics), but Evans chose to reflect on the 400m, where Ledecky came in third place in Omaha. Only the top can make the Olympic team in each individual event, and the 400m came before the 800m at trials.

“I remember seeing how disappointed she was when she didn’t make the team [in the 400m],” Evans said. “I remember thinking, oh, yeah, she wants this. She’s pretty hungry. Then I remember watching her 800, where she just took it out and took no prisoners.”

Evans sees a bit of herself in Ledecky, whom she met for the first time at the Golden Goggle Awards in November, when Ledecky won Female Athlete of the Year.

Evans broke her first world record at 15 and won the first of her four Olympic gold medals at 17. Ledecky won her first Olympic gold medal at 15 and broke her first world record at 16.

“She swims her races a lot like I used to,” Evans said. “I remember that feeling when there’s no one around you [in a race]. You’re just like, what do I do now? You keep swimming.”

Evans learned of Ledecky’s 400m free world record last week when she stopped in Frankfurt, Germany, on the way home from a European vacation.

“My phone blew up,” Evans said.

“The 400 was my favorite race, and it was my favorite record,” said Evans, who held the 400m free world record from 1987 to 2006. “It was against the East Germans in Seoul [1988 Olympics]. It was my favorite race ever. When my world records were broken, I think the 400 hurt me the most because it was like my favorite race. I always wanted an American to get that record back.”

Evans believes Ledecky will continue to swim faster, particularly in the 200m free, but wondered about the pressure that comes with being so good, so young.

“I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to win,” Evans said. “I needed people to tell me that it was OK not to break a world record and it was OK to get second at the 1992 Olympics and get touched out by 19 one-hundredths of a second. As much support as I had from my parents and my coaches, I never had anyone tell me as a young woman that it was OK not to win. And that made swimming not fun for me. And that’s, in hindsight, what I look back on and say, I wish someone had told me that one day I’ll love my silver medal.”

Evans recalled breaking her first world record in 1987 and then getting crushed by Australian Julie McDonald by 10 seconds in the 800m free at the Pan Pacific Championships two weeks later.

“That’s something, too, that I needed warning about,” Evans said. “Once you get there [to the top], there’s less of that I’m going to shock the world and win a gold in London and more of oh, that girl down there in the corner of the world in Australia knows who I am.

“And she’s out to get me.”

Amy Van Dyken-Rouen leaving hospital

Latest Posts
  1. Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir ‘constantly thinking about’ comeback

May 6, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Canadians must return for 2016-17 if they are to come back at all, according to report.

2. Russia has no plans to bid for 2024 Olympics

May 6, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT

Maria Sharapova Getty Images

Russia is focused on another major sporting event.

3. April Ross wants to start family after Rio Olympics, return for Tokyo 2020

May 6, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Kerri Walsh Jennings also wants to have another child, after the Rio Games.

4. NBC tops Sports Emmys for Sochi Olympics presentation

May 6, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT

NBC Sochi logo

NBC Sports and NBCOlympics.com combined for seven Sports Emmys for Sochi presentation.

5. Shannon Miller discusses new book, U.S. gymnastics on MSNBC’s ‘Sports Matters’ (video)

May 5, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT

Shannon Miller

Miller also said the Magnificent Seven is planning its 20-year anniversary.

6. Patrick Chan’s return about more than elusive Olympic gold medal

May 5, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

Patrick Chan Getty Images

Three-time World champion explained why he’s returning to competition.

7. Nastia Liukin to be Indy 500 Grand Marshal

May 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Nastia Liukin Getty Images

Liukin could be very busy during Indy 500 week with another competition.

8. Intruder makes splash at FINA Diving World Series (photos)

May 4, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT

FINA Diving World Series intruder Getty Images

“The guy who was getting ready to dive on the top board was laughing at me.”

9. Jamaica exacts revenge on U.S. at World Relays, without Usain Bolt

May 3, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT

Jamaica Getty Images

Bolt was seen at the stadium but sat out as an injury precaution.

10. U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship

May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT

Sled Hockey

It’s the first World title for the Americans on home ice.

11. Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup

May 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods Getty Images

They had been together for nearly three years.

12. WATCH LIVE: U.S.-Canada in IPC World Sled Hockey Championship final — 2:30 p.m. ET

May 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

Steve Cash Courtesty Bill Wippert

Both teams crushed their first four opponents to reach this final rematch.

13. U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video)

May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT

Ryan Bailey, Usain Bolt Getty Images

Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.

14. WATCH LIVE: U.S.-Norway in IPC World Sled Hockey Championship semifinals — 8 p.m. ET

May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

Bill Wippert Credit Bill Wippert

The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.

15. Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio

May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT

Kim Rhode Getty Images

Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.