Aug 12, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
NBC, NBCSN and Universal Sports will combine for 54.5 hours of coverage of the Youth Olympics from Nanjing, China, beginning with an Opening Ceremony broadcast Saturday.
It’s the first time the Youth Olympics will be televised on NBC and NBCSN.
The Youth Olympics were approved by the International Olympic Committee in 2007 and include athletes between the ages of 14 and 18. The first Youth Olympics were held in Singapore in 2010. The first Youth Winter Olympics were in Innsbruck, Austria, in 2012.
The Nanjing Opening Ceremony will air on NBCSN at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday. The show is hosted by Josh Elliott and Mary Carillo.
Nightly NBCSN coverage, from Saturday through the Aug. 28 Closing Ceremony, will be similar to NBC’s traditional primetime presentation for the Olympics. Swimming, track and field, gymnastics, beach volleyball and diving will be among the sports featured.
NBC Sports Live Extra will stream all Youth Olympics coverage on NBC and NBCSN, too.
The Nanjing Youth Olympics will include about 3,800 athletes in 222 events across 32 sports.
NBCUniversal will broadcast every Youth Olympics through 2032.
Commentators Jason Knapp, Jim Watson and Mike Corey will provide play-by-play coverage throughout the Nanjing Games. Lewis Johnson and 2006 Olympic ice dancing silver medalist Tanith Belbin will be on-site reporters.
Analysts include 2008 Olympic gymnastics silver medalist Alicia Quinn (formerly Sacramone), two-time Olympic 800m runner Nick Symmonds, four-time swimming medalist Kaitlin Sandeno, 2000 diving gold medalist Laura Wilkinson and 2000 Olympic beach volleyball player Kevin Wong.
Here’s the full coverage schedule:
Aug 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Franklin got a horrible start in the 100m backstroke.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
U.S. sailors comment while training at Guanabara Bay.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)