Aug 8, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Vincent Gauthier-Manuel, who won three Sochi Paralympic Alpine skiing medals, took one of those medals and melted part of it to secretly make an engagement ring for his wife-to-be, according to French newspaper L’Est Républicain.
Gauthier-Manuel won a gold, silver and bronze medal in Sochi. So, which did he melt?
The silver, though Parasport-News reports the medal’s original integrity remains.
Gauthier-Manuel had plenty of medals to choose from, having also won three at the Vancouver 2010 Paralympics.
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 0
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 1
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)