Aug 4, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
It appears there will be swimming with no water, ski jumping with no snow and the ability to race against a virtual Usain Bolt.
Such are the images coming out of Barcelona, where the 1992 Olympic Stadium and its surrounding area are to be transformed into a sports theme park called “Open Camp.”
First announced two weeks ago, the park is scheduled to open next year. It will include simulators and technology that allow entrants to race against Bolt (or perhaps Justin Gatlin or cheetahs, as in the images below).
It’s competitive from ticketholder to ticketholder, too. There will be award ceremonies with flags and medals and closing ceremonies every night the park is open next summer, according to reports.
To make this happen, 1992 Olympic facilities will undergo a $26 million upgrade, according to the Guardian. Tickets will cost between $37 and $60 with a range of 56 activities to choose from.
Don’t be intimidated, though. The park’s promoter said it’s open to all, “even people with a beer gut.”
Here’s more information about the park in a Spanish video presentation.
May 3, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Bolt was seen at the stadium but sat out as an injury precaution.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first World title for the Americans on home ice.
May 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
They had been together for nearly three years.
May 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Both teams crushed their first four opponents to reach this final rematch.
May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s a rematch of the 2013 World Championship final.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.
May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.
May 1, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Bolt and Gatlin could go head to head at the IAAF World Relays this weekend.
Apr 30, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
She finished radiation on March 31 and is 99 percent confident she’s cancer-free.
Apr 30, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
“I had prepared my entire life for this one moment and I knew there would not be another opportunity.”
Apr 29, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
The U.S. is undefeated in three games.
Apr 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The U.S. looks to clinch a berth in the semifinals.
Apr 29, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Chess officials believe the sport may have a better shot to join the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics.
Apr 29, 2015, 8:14 AM EDT
Cameras will start following Bolt in May.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
“My mission in life has never seemed clearer.”
Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
The IOC will also provide assistance to the Himalayan nation.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
The U.S. has one more preliminary game left before the medal round.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. can move closer to clinching a semifinal berth.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The five-time Olympic medalist also discussed getting to know Mark Spitz in a Q&A.
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 7
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 1
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Jillion Potter done with cancer treatment, eyes U.S. rugby return, Olympics 0
- Jeremy Bloom recalls 2006 Olympics in ‘Fueled by Failure’ 0
- Missy Franklin on her dream relay, unusual autographs, ‘the worm’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)