Usain Bolt celebrates in style at Commonwealth Games; plans 2017 retirement

Aug 2, 2014, 7:02 PM EST

Usain Bolt AP

Usain Bolt danced to a popular Scottish song, sprinted on a wet track for 10 seconds and took a half-hour victory lap, wearing a tartan hat and scarf for much of it at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Saturday.

Bolt, at his first meet of 2014 after missing the early season with a foot injury, anchored the Jamaican 4x100m relay team to gold in a Commonwealth Games-record time (race video here).

He confirmed afterward that he planned to retire after the 2017 World Championships, which he also indicated two years ago.

“I have always said that after Rio [de Janeiro 2016 Olympics] I wanted to retire, but they keep saying I should go onto 2017, so I think I might just do that, so that will be my last championship,” Bolt said, according to News Corp Australia.

“This training thing is not so easy. I am just happy I have done what I wanted to do in this sport.

“I remember I asked Michael Johnson why he retired when he was on top, and he told me there wasn’t nothing left to accomplish.

“When you are in sport and you have accomplished everything, then you should just retire. Because to stay in sports with these young kids coming up, you may just start getting beaten and for me, I hate losing.”

In the race, the six-time Olympic champion crossed the finish line at Hampden Park in 37.58 seconds.

He received the red baton about even with England and opened up a .44 winning margin, running hard for his leg and even dipping at the finish.

Then the party began. Bolt flashed his signature “To Di World” pose and yelled, “Money in the bank!” in front of a camera.

He spent about a half-hour on his victory lap, putting on a blue and green tartan hat and scarf and carrying both the Jamaican and Scottish flags.

He stopped for several selfies and even took a fan’s camera for his own selfie in front of five girls. The embrace of Scotland was even more significant given a Times of London report he made disparaging comments about the Commonwealth Games last week, comments Bolt refuted.

“I tell you man, these selfies make victory laps very long,” Bolt said, according to News Corp Australia.

Here’s Bolt dancing before the race to The Proclaimers’ song, “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)”:

Amantle Montsho, former World 400m champion, fails drug test

Latest Posts
  1. Ted Ligety expected back shortly after wrist injury (video)

Nov 23, 2014, 8:38 PM EST

Ted Ligety

Video of how he suffered the injury was posted on Ligety’s social media.

2. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

3. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

4. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

5. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

6. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

7. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.

8. Louie Vito hopes to stand out after missing Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

Louie Vito Getty Images

Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.

9. Claressa Shields wins first World Championships bout in 11 seconds (video)

Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.

10. Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 15th, 16th in super-Gs in Colorado

Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”

11. Vanessa-Mae faces retroactive Olympic ban

Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST

Vanessa Mae Getty Images

Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.

12. Rio Olympics to have some morning track and field finals

Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST

Shalane Flanagan Getty Images

Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.

13. IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms

Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.

14. Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back

Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.

15. Ryan Lochte unsure who is world’s best swimmer

Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Kosuke Hagino, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.

16. Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona

Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

Lamine Diack

U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

17. Jennifer Kessy, Emily Day form new beach volleyball partnership

Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Jennifer Kessy Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.