Usain Bolt celebrates in style at Commonwealth Games; plans 2017 retirement

Aug 2, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

Usain Bolt AP

Usain Bolt danced to a popular Scottish song, sprinted on a wet track for 10 seconds and took a half-hour victory lap, wearing a tartan hat and scarf for much of it at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Saturday.

Bolt, at his first meet of 2014 after missing the early season with a foot injury, anchored the Jamaican 4x100m relay team to gold in a Commonwealth Games-record time (race video here).

He confirmed afterward that he planned to retire after the 2017 World Championships, which he also indicated two years ago.

“I have always said that after Rio [de Janeiro 2016 Olympics] I wanted to retire, but they keep saying I should go onto 2017, so I think I might just do that, so that will be my last championship,” Bolt said, according to News Corp Australia.

“This training thing is not so easy. I am just happy I have done what I wanted to do in this sport.

“I remember I asked Michael Johnson why he retired when he was on top, and he told me there wasn’t nothing left to accomplish.

“When you are in sport and you have accomplished everything, then you should just retire. Because to stay in sports with these young kids coming up, you may just start getting beaten and for me, I hate losing.”

In the race, the six-time Olympic champion crossed the finish line at Hampden Park in 37.58 seconds.

He received the red baton about even with England and opened up a .44 winning margin, running hard for his leg and even dipping at the finish.

Then the party began. Bolt flashed his signature “To Di World” pose and yelled, “Money in the bank!” in front of a camera.

He spent about a half-hour on his victory lap, putting on a blue and green tartan hat and scarf and carrying both the Jamaican and Scottish flags.

He stopped for several selfies and even took a fan’s camera for his own selfie in front of five girls. The embrace of Scotland was even more significant given a Times of London report he made disparaging comments about the Commonwealth Games last week, comments Bolt refuted.

“I tell you man, these selfies make victory laps very long,” Bolt said, according to News Corp Australia.

Here’s Bolt dancing before the race to The Proclaimers’ song, “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)”:

Amantle Montsho, former World 400m champion, fails drug test

Latest Posts
  1. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

2. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

3. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

4. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.

5. Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today

Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.

6. Nike makes Ashton Eaton a ‘cooling hood’

Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Nike Cooling Mask Nike

“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”

7. Can Tour de France stars contend for medals at 2016 Olympics?

Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

AP AP

The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.

8. U.S. women dominate en route to FIVB World Grand Prix title

Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.

9. Bill May becomes first man to win World Synchronized Swimming Championship

Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT

AP AP

May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.

10. Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics

Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.

11. Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice

Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.

12. Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

AP AP

Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.

13. Jennifer Wu makes 2016 U.S. Olympic team in table tennis

Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT

AP AP

Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.

14. Simone Biles as powerful as male gymnasts, Jonathan Horton says

Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT

AP AP

“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.

15. Shawn Johnson engaged after throwing first pitch (video)

Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT

Shawn Johnson, Andrew East

Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.

16. Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London

Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

AP AP

Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.

17. Claressa Shields: I would fight Ronda Rousey

Jul 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“I know for a fact I would beat her in boxing. That’s simple. But MMA?”

18. Tokyo 2020 Olympic emblem revealed

Jul 24, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The emblem is based on three words.