Jul 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Yao Ming is going back to the Olympics — the Youth Olympics, that is.
The retired 7-foot-6 NBA All-Star was named an ambassador for the second Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China, which begin with an Opening Ceremony on Aug. 16.
Yao played in three Olympics, leading China to the quarterfinals in 2004 and 2008, before retiring from professional basketball in 2011.
Yao is best remembered in the Olympic setting for carrying the Chinese flag at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Opening Ceremony, when many of the viewers focused on the 9-year-old boy walking next to him. Lin Hao, a survivivor of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, became one of the stars of that unforgettable Opening Ceremony.
Other 2014 Youth Olympics ambassadors include South African swimming gold medalist Chad le Clos and U.S. Women’s Open winner Michelle Wie.
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 0
- Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video) 0
- Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition 1
- Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa 1
- Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA 0
- Eugene gets 2021 World Track and Field Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)