Jul 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings hopes to hit another milestone Sunday.
The most decorated women’s beach volleyball player of all time can notch her 50th career FIVB tournament win, if she and April Ross can dispatch a Brazilian pair at the World Series of Beach Volleyball final in Long Beach, Calif.
NBC and NBC Sports Live Extra will carry live coverage beginning at 3:30 p.m. ET.
Walsh Jennings, 35 and a three-time Olympic champion, already owns the record for most FIVB wins by a woman. The only men she trails are Brazilians Emanuel (76) and Ricardo (55).
She and Ross are the top seeds and favorites in the final of the biggest tournament in the U.S. this year, an FIVB Grand Slam event. The opponents, Brazil’s Agatha Bednarczuk and Barbara Seixas, are the fifth seeds but beat Walsh Jennings and Ross in their most recent meeting in Shanghai in May.
World Series of Beach Volleyball, 3:30-5 — WATCH LIVE HERE
Walsh Jennings and Ross have won half of their 10 FIVB World Tour tournaments together since teaming up last year, after Misty May-Treanor retired and Walsh Jennings had her third child following the London Olympics.
They are the only women’s team to win multiple Grand Slam events this season.
In the men’s final in Long Beach, 2008 Olympic champion Phil Dalhausser and two-time Olympian Sean Rosenthal face Poland’s Grzegorz Fijałek and Mariusz Prudel in a No. 1 seed vs. No. 2 seed duel. That’s at 5:30 p.m. ET.
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 8
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)