Jul 26, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Three-time Olympic champion Kerri Walsh Jennings and her new partner, Olympic silver medalist April Ross, are two wins from claiming the biggest title on U.S. sand this year.
They’re up in Saturday’s semifinals of the World Series of Beach Volleyball, an FIVB Grand Slam event in Long Beach, Calif.
The top seeds Walsh Jennings and Ross face 14th-seeded Slovakians Natalia Dubovcova and Dominika Nestarcova beginning at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC and NBC Sports Live Extra.
World Series of Beach Volleyball, 4:30-6 — WATCH LIVE HERE
Walsh Jennings and Ross have won half of their FIVB World Tour tournaments together since teaming up last year, after Misty May-Treanor retired and Walsh Jennings had her third child following the London Olympics.
The later women’s semifinal pits a fourth-seeded Spanish pair against a fifth-seeded Brazilian pair. The semifinal winners face off in the final Sunday at 3:30 p.m. ET on NBC and NBC Sports Live Extra.
On the men’s side, 2008 Olympic champion Phil Dalhausser and two-time Olympian Sean Rosenthal play a later semifinal Saturday for a spot in the final Sunday at 5:30 p.m. ET.
- Prefontaine Classic preview, schedule, broadcast info 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 1
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)