Henry Cejudo, Olympic champion wrestler, signs with UFC

Jul 26, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT

Henry Cejudo Reuters

Henry Cejudo will be the third Olympic gold medalist to compete for UFC after signing a promotional contract announced Friday.

Cejudo became the youngest U.S. Olympic wrestling champion at 21 at Beijing 2008. The son of illegal immigrants from Mexico, his story gained instant fame, and was told in a book, “American Victory.”

He did not qualify for London at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials and gave up wrestling to start a mixed martial arts career.

“In wrestling, you’re talking about a fraternity of champions, and I got a chance to be a part of that Olympic championship club,” he said, according to UFC.com. “And anyone that ever won the Olympics in wrestling, there’s something different about them. And that’s something that I’ve always wanted to carry over to mixed martial arts when it comes to discipline, when it comes to technique, and when it comes to becoming an overall fighter. Everything that I did to win a gold medal, I’m practically transferring it over to mixed martial arts.”

Cejudo’s first UFC bout will be in Sacramento, Calif., on Aug. 30 in the flyweight division, though he’s 6-0 with four knockouts already as a pro.

“I always wanted to become a student of the game and at least get six to eight fights before coming to the UFC,” he told UFC.com. “Now I think I’m in my prime, and I’ve never felt this strong in my life. I won the Olympics at 21. I could only grow half a mustache (laughs), and now I’ve got a full beard.”

Cejudo joins fellow wrestlers Kevin Jackson and Mark Schultz in competing in UFC after winning Olympic golds. Of course, one of the most famous names in MMA is 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist Ronda Rousey.

Skateboarding to be showcased aside Youth Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. South Sudan set for Olympic recognition

Jul 28, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A South Sudanese marathon runner competed under a different flag at London 2012.

2. Haley Anderson makes second Olympic team

Jul 28, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Her 17-year-old teammate missed out, though, at the World Championships.

3. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

4. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

5. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

6. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.

7. Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today

Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.

8. Nike makes Ashton Eaton a ‘cooling hood’

Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Nike Cooling Mask Nike

“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”

9. Can Tour de France stars contend for medals at 2016 Olympics?

Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

AP AP

The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.

10. U.S. women dominate en route to FIVB World Grand Prix title

Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.

11. Bill May becomes first man to win World Synchronized Swimming Championship

Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT

AP AP

May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.

12. Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics

Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.

13. Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice

Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.

14. Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

AP AP

Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.

15. Jennifer Wu makes 2016 U.S. Olympic team in table tennis

Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT

AP AP

Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.

16. Simone Biles as powerful as male gymnasts, Jonathan Horton says

Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT

AP AP

“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.

17. Shawn Johnson engaged after throwing first pitch (video)

Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT

Shawn Johnson, Andrew East

Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.

18. Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London

Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

AP AP

Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.