Jul 25, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Skateboarding exhibitions will be allowed during the Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China, in August, an opportunity presented by International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach last year to a sport seeking Olympic inclusion.
Skateboarding was the only non-Olympic sport invited to host exhibitions at the event, said Gary Ream, president of the International Skatingboarding Federation (ISF), according to Sports Business Daily.
(CORRECTION: Roller skating, sport climbing and wushu were also scheduled to be included.)
“I believe [the IOC] are starting to believe this isn’t a fad but is real,” Ream told SBD. “We’re dating and they’re going to be introduced to a group of us – to how we’re organizing and embracing all avenues of skateboarding so that if it’s done [in the Olympics], it’s done right. I truly believe the IOC gets that. This is a fun opportunity for us [the IOC and ISF] to get to know each other.”
In Nanjing, the ISF will hold two daily street and vert skateboard exhibitions featuring international athletes such as Australian Renton Millar and Brazilian Leticia Bufoni.
The news comes four months after iconic skateboarder Tony Hawk said he believed skateboarding will be added to the Olympics based on discussions he’s been a part of.
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 0
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 1
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)