Jul 16, 2014, 1:56 PM EST
One had to wonder what Lindsey Vonn and Roger Federer were up to when they Skyped two weeks ago.
As it turns out, they were arranging a sponsor-related tennis exhibition in the Alps, about two miles above sea level in Jungfraujoch, Switzerland.
“It was a little bit difficult with the high altitude,” Vonn said in a video interview (with highlights of the match). “It was something I’ve never done before, being on the mountain and playing tennis. Obviously, I’m in the snow a lot for skiing, but never playing tennis, so it was really cool.
“I think Roger wasn’t expecting me to be that good at tennis. I’m not very good, still, but I had some good shots, and it was good to get a point.”
Vonn has long been a Federer fan, having visited him at the London Olympics at Wimbledon and challenging him to a tennis or golf match last year.
This is not too out of the ordinary for Federer, who has played against Rafael Nadal on top of water in Doha, Andre Agassi high above water in Dubai and against Nadal on a half-grass, half-clay court.
Here are some photos via The Associated Press:
- Olympic Year in Review: Winter Sports 0
- Lindsey Vonn OK after fall in Val d’Isere super-G (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 7
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)