Lance Armstrong might start new cancer foundation

Jul 14, 2014, 9:32 AM EST

Lance Armstrong AP

Disgraced cyclist and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong doesn’t expect to ever return to Livestrong and said starting his own foundation again is “probably the most likely scenario.”

Armstrong talked to the Des Moines Register in a story published one week after an Esquire story quoted Livestrong’s president saying Armstrong would be welcomed if he wanted to return (Livestrong’s chairman later said in a statement having Armstrong rejoin the organization in any capacity was not on the table).

“To see the follow-up statement from the chairman, Jeff Garvey, that was more in line with where I think [Livestrong] are,” Armstrong told the Des Moines Register. “Again, that’s beyond my control. I can’t force that issue, but what I can do is stay committed to the fight, stay committed to the cause, and if I’m not welcome there, then I will either a) start my own foundation, again, which is probably the most likely scenario, or just be willing and able to help wherever I’m at. I think it’s convenient for them to put me on the sidelines, but I’m not staying on the sidelines.”

If Livestrong’s leaders agreed to ask Armstrong to come back, would he?

“That is a very tricky, tricky question,” Armstrong told the newspaper. “I’d have to … I don’t know the answer to that right now. That would have to involve a lot of conversation. I’m a big believer in the whole Jim Collins theory of who’s on the bus, who’s been on the bus, wanted to get off the bus and wanted to get off the bus now. We might have to look at who’s on the bus.

“I don’t see that happening anytime soon. In fact, I’m almost certain that’s not going to happen.”

Armstrong, 42, was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1996 and started the Lance Armstrong Foundation (later changed to Livestrong) in 1997.

He won a record seven straight Tour de France titles from 1999 through 2005, was banned for life and stripped of those titles in 2012 for doping and had his ties with Livestrong severed.

Ian Thorpe reveals he is gay

Latest Posts
  1. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

2. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

3. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

4. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

5. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

6. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.

7. Louie Vito hopes to stand out after missing Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

Louie Vito Getty Images

Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.

8. Claressa Shields wins first World Championships bout in 11 seconds (video)

Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.

9. Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 15th, 16th in super-Gs in Colorado

Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”

10. Vanessa-Mae faces retroactive Olympic ban

Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST

Vanessa Mae Getty Images

Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.

11. Rio Olympics to have some morning track and field finals

Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST

Shalane Flanagan Getty Images

Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.

12. IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms

Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.

13. Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back

Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.

14. Ryan Lochte unsure who is world’s best swimmer

Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Kosuke Hagino, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.

15. Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona

Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

Lamine Diack

U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

16. Jennifer Kessy, Emily Day form new beach volleyball partnership

Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Jennifer Kessy Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.

17. Bode Miller out until January due to back surgery

Nov 17, 2014, 1:42 PM EST

Bode Miller Getty Images

Miller hopes to return one week before the one storied race he has never won.

18. Peter Forsberg and the Olympics

Nov 17, 2014, 1:16 PM EST

Peter Forsberg Getty Images

Swede being inducted into Hall of Fame authored one of the iconic Olympic moments in 1994.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games