Lance Armstrong might start new cancer foundation

Jul 14, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT

Lance Armstrong AP

Disgraced cyclist and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong doesn’t expect to ever return to Livestrong and said starting his own foundation again is “probably the most likely scenario.”

Armstrong talked to the Des Moines Register in a story published one week after an Esquire story quoted Livestrong’s president saying Armstrong would be welcomed if he wanted to return (Livestrong’s chairman later said in a statement having Armstrong rejoin the organization in any capacity was not on the table).

“To see the follow-up statement from the chairman, Jeff Garvey, that was more in line with where I think [Livestrong] are,” Armstrong told the Des Moines Register. “Again, that’s beyond my control. I can’t force that issue, but what I can do is stay committed to the fight, stay committed to the cause, and if I’m not welcome there, then I will either a) start my own foundation, again, which is probably the most likely scenario, or just be willing and able to help wherever I’m at. I think it’s convenient for them to put me on the sidelines, but I’m not staying on the sidelines.”

If Livestrong’s leaders agreed to ask Armstrong to come back, would he?

“That is a very tricky, tricky question,” Armstrong told the newspaper. “I’d have to … I don’t know the answer to that right now. That would have to involve a lot of conversation. I’m a big believer in the whole Jim Collins theory of who’s on the bus, who’s been on the bus, wanted to get off the bus and wanted to get off the bus now. We might have to look at who’s on the bus.

“I don’t see that happening anytime soon. In fact, I’m almost certain that’s not going to happen.”

Armstrong, 42, was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1996 and started the Lance Armstrong Foundation (later changed to Livestrong) in 1997.

He won a record seven straight Tour de France titles from 1999 through 2005, was banned for life and stripped of those titles in 2012 for doping and had his ties with Livestrong severed.

Ian Thorpe reveals he is gay

Latest Posts
  1. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

2. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

3. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

4. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

5. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

6. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

7. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

8. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.

9. Abby Wambach ‘planning on playing’ in Rio, ‘still need time to decide’

Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.

10. Markus Rehm, German amputee long jumper, left off World Championships team

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

AP AP

Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.

11. Inbee Park criticizes Olympic golf qualifying procedures

Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”

12. IOC president: Boston 2024 didn’t deliver on promises to USOC

Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

AP AP

“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”

13. Russia basketball says it’s suspended by FIBA

Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.

14. Yuna Kim: About 90 percent of my career was hardship

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.

15. No decision made on Bode Miller’s status, agent says

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Miller said June 15 he could ski a partial 2015-16 season, and a report last week cited Miller saying he would take at least one year off.