Jul 14, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Howard Siler, the coach of the first Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team, died at age 69 last Tuesday in Clermont, Fla., according to the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation.
Siler competed as a U.S. bobsledder at the 1972 and 1980 Olympics with a top finish of fifth.
He would be the inspiration for John Candy‘s role in the Disney movie “Cool Runnings” about the Jamaican Bobsled Team at the 1988 Calgary Olympics.
Siler remembered the film in an interview with the Calgary Sun last year, the 25-year anniversary of those Winter Games.
“It was a good movie, and there were a couple of things that were true, and a lot that wasn’t,” he told the newspaper. “First of all, I’d never won two gold medals, and second, I wasn’t an alcoholic in Jamaica.
“There was a part in the movie where we get off the plane and go out the front door, and they go right back into the terminal to put more clothes on. Well that was the true part of the movie — the chinook wasn’t there that day, and it was cold.”
Siler also told the story of the first time the Jamaican bobsledders stepped on a rink in Lake Placid, N.Y.
“I was there the very first time they walked on ice — we put them on a hockey rink without bobsled shoes, so they were slipping and sliding and having a good time,” he said.
“Then we put some bobsled shoes on, and showed them the difference.”
Jamaica Bobsled returned to the spotlight last winter for the first time since 2002, barely qualifying for the Sochi Olympics and taking 29th out of 29 finishers in the two-man event.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
The film includes footage from Olympics from 1976 through 2012.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Franklin got a horrible start in the 100m backstroke.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
U.S. sailors comment while training at Guanabara Bay.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.
Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships
Aug 3, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Lochte posted his best time since the London Olympics.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
“It did feel pretty easy.”
Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They could make history in Rio de Janeiro.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
- Greg Louganis recalls Olympic diving, HIV, coming out in ‘Back on Board’ film 0
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)