Jul 10, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Following the ongoing scandal involving hospitality companies partnered with FIFA for the World Cup, the International Olympic Committee will consider changing the ticketing process for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Reuters reports that IOC President Thomas Bach has asked Gilbert Felli, IOC Executive Director, ” to coordinate with the organizing committee and legal authorities and public authorities in Brazil” to ensure the Rio Games aren’t plagued by the scalping issues seen at the World Cup.
“We have a system in place, this system has been improved after London (2012). But it is under constant monitoring because it has to be adapted to the national legislation in the host country,” Bach explained.
The 2012 London Games saw thousands of tickets being sold illegally, as well as technical issues with the official ticket seller, Ticketmaster.
The Brazilian police are currently investigating allegations that one of its hospitality partner companies was involved in ticket scalping. On July 7th Raymond Whelan, an executive of Match Hospitality, was arrested for questioning at his hotel in Rio de Janerio. 11 other people believed to be members of the World Cup ticket scalping ring have been arrested, the AP reports.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:41 AM EDT
Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.
Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.
Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Olympians Erin Hamlin, Chris Mazdzer star in an inside look at the sport.
Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Tuesday marked 500 days out from the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.
Mar 23, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT
Three U.S. women have a shot at the podium, and an American ice dance couple could win gold.
Mar 23, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
Both skiers may look to branch out next season.
Mar 23, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
Park tested positive for testosterone on Sept. 3.
Mar 23, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Plus, what’s at stake for U.S. skaters in Shanghai.
Mar 23, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
The oldest competitor at USATF Masters Indoors wants to run a 100m at age 100 at the Penn Relays.
Mar 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT
Franklin hasn’t decided yet where she will train.
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)