Jul 8, 2014, 7:39 AM EDT
American sprinters Tyson Gay showed and Sanya Richards-Ross each made emphatic statements with victories on a rain-slicked track at the Montreuil meeting Monday.
Gay ran the 100m in 10.04 to beat 2008 Olympic silver medalist Richard Thompson of Trinidad and Tobago by 0.12 in a 0.5-meter headwind.
Meanwhile, Richards-Ross, the 2012 Olympic champion in the 400, won that event in Paris, pulling away down the stretch to finish with a time of 51.12. She was happy with the victory, but apparently just as happy to have escaped the wet conditions without injury.
“I think the last time I ran in weather like this is probably Zurich 2005,” she told the Associated Press. “I tried to block it out, but it’s really hard to get going really fast, especially the first 50. A little bit more cautious. I do want to have a successful season, so I don’t want to risk an injury.”
Gay’s victory in Paris was his second appearance in competition since serving a one-year doping ban. In his first appearance last week, he finished second to fellow American Justin Gatlin in the 100 at the Diamond Leauge meet in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Michelle-Lee Ahye of Trinidad and Tobago, who won a photo finish in the 100 in last week’s event, won the women’s 100 in Paris in 11.32, overcoming a poor start to beat Jamaica’s Carrie Russell.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Four past U.S. all-around champions are in the field in Pittsburgh.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Also, a rare defeat for Olympic pole vault champion.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Olympic champion swimmer posts Instagram videos.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion says she’ll stay in Columbus through 2016 Olympics.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Ledecky nearly broke another world record.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
NBA legends channeled; Olympic silver medalist on judging panel.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukrainian’s error costs Moldovan teammate a shot at the podium.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
U.S. star first suffered back spasms at Tuesday practice.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Defending champion feels no added pressure despite seeing her face all around Pittsburgh.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Would Davis excel in softball if she tried it?
Aug 20, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Can Allyson Felix finally topple Tori Bowie?
Aug 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
First medals awarded on an Olympic stage in rugby since 1924.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Lily Zhang scored a breakthrough for U.S. table tennis.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Gold medalists Hannah Moore and Clara Smiddy will go from Nanjing to Ann Arbor.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
U.S. vs. Australia in sprint head to head; outlook for Phelps and Lochte.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Will Katie Ledecky be tested?
Aug 20, 2014, 5:34 AM EDT
Phelps’ debut in Australia pushed back to Friday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:08 AM EDT
Video of Franklin being gingerly helped away from the pool.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Phelps also reflects on his first Olympics, also in Australia.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
More medals could be in Indy native’s future in Nanjing.
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Pan Pacific Championships men’s events preview 0
- Pan Pacific Championships women’s events preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)