Jul 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
After 39 days in court, the team defending Oscar Pistorius against charges he murdered his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, have finished calling witnesses. Pistorius’ lawyers have argued that the double amputee and 2012 Olympian thought Steenkamp was an intruder when he shot through a locked door in his South Africa home bathroom on Valentine’s Day 2013.
The trial will adjourn until August 7-8, when final arguments for both the defense and prosecuting teams are scheduled.
Lawyer Barry Roux said “there’s nothing that we can do” about witnesses who did not want to testify due to the intensely public nature of the case, according to the AP. Roux chose not to ask the judge to compel unwilling witnesses to testify.
After closing arguments are presented, Judge Thokozile Masipa will pass a verdict on whether Pistorius is guilty of premeditated murder. Pistorius could also be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.
He could face a prison sentence of 25 years to life. South Africa does not have the death penalty.
Feb 1, 2015, 5:39 PM EST
IOC president remarks on Boston 2024, Rio 2016.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:53 PM EST
NBC’s figure skating analysts will be part of Super Bowl XLIX pregame coverage starting at noon ET on Sunday.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:12 PM EST
Rupp will compete in the Armory Track Invitational on NBCSN on Saturday.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Tatyana Chernova beat Jessica Ennis at the 2011 World Championships.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The ban would rule Jeptoo out of the Rio Olympics.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:41 PM EST
Five women to watch, plus the schedule of events.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EST
How to watch Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin and more go for gold in Colorado.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The relay will start in May 2016.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST
“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST
Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST
Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST
Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?
Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST
Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST
Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST
Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)