Jul 6, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
The bronze medal won by American basketball player Carmelo Anthony at the 2004 Athens Olympics has been auctioned off for $14,080, Inside the Games reports. A family member of Anthony’s listed the medal at auction house Julien’s Auctions. The buyer’s identity was not revealed.
The U.S. men’s basketball team beat Lithuania 104-96 to win bronze, while Argentina took gold and Italy won silver. It was the only time the American men didn’t win a basketball gold medal since professionals were permitted to compete in the Olympics.
Four years later in Beijing, the “Redeem Team,” which Anthony was also a member of, succeeded in their goal of winning back the gold. The 2012 London Games also saw a gold medal win for Anthony and the American men. At that Olympics, Anthony scored 37 points against Nigeria, breaking the record for most points in a single game by an American man at an Olympic basketball game.
According to Julien’s Auctions, Anthony was unhappy with his team’s performance in Athens and “no longer cared to have [the medal] in his possession.” He then gave the bronze medal to a family member as a gift. The medal was put up for auction in May, with bids starting at $4,500.
Anthony has been a member of the New York Knicks since 2011 but is currently a free agent.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:03 PM EST
Canada hasn’t been that high since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
A first for the U.S. in 20 years.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST
But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)