Very pregnant Alysia Montano runs at U.S. Championships

Jun 26, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT

Alysia Montano Getty Images

Olympian Alysia Montano entered the 800m at the U.S. Championships about six weeks before her due date on Thursday.

Montano, a five-time U.S. outdoor champion, clocked 2 minutes, 32.13 seconds to finish last in her eight-woman preliminary heat, 24.38 seconds behind her closest competitor. Here’s video of her race.

“I’ve been running through my entire pregnancy, and I felt really, really good during the whole process,” Montano told reporters after her race in Sacramento, Calif. “I definitely was like, OK, I think I can run a pretty decent time. I didn’t have a time on it [that I wanted to run]. I just knew I didn’t want to get lapped, be the first person to ever get lapped in an 800m. More than anything, I wanted to be here, and I’m feeling that fire and that desire to be on the track and to race. What a better avenue than to do it at USA Nationals.”

[WATCH LIVE: U.S. Championships, Friday at 10 pm ET]

Montano, the four-time reigning U.S. champion, had a previous qualifying time that allowed her to enter the competition. She said she consulted her doctor and midwife, who encouraged her to race 34 weeks into her pregnancy.

“That took away any fear of what the outside world might think about a woman running in pregnancy or exercise in general,” said Montano, wearing a customary flower in her hair. “What I found out mostly was that exercising and maintaining during pregnancy is actually much better for the mom and the baby.”

She received a standing ovation at Sacramento State’s Hornet Stadium.

“I just felt so supported,” she said. “I didn’t want to be judged or have any ill things said about me. I just wanted to kind of do what my heart and my desire wanted to do.”

Montano said she knew she wouldn’t advance out of the first round. Rather, she viewed her participation as a celebration.

“We see so many people in different avenues in their life start their family, and it looks so different than it does for a professional athlete, especially for a professional athlete woman,” said Montano, whose due date is Aug. 13. “You’ve seen [four-time Olympic middle distance runner] Bernard Lagat have two kids, and we don’t see the other side of it. This is what it looks like to be a professional athlete as a woman.”

Montano, 28, finished fifth in the Olympic 800m and fourth at the 2011 and 2013 World Championships. No American woman has won an Olympic 800m medal since Kim Gallagher‘s bronze in 1988.

USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships broadcast schedule

Latest Posts
  1. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

2. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

3. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

4. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

5. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

6. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

7. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

8. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

9. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

10. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

11. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.

12. Oscar Pistorius’ sentence expected Tuesday

Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.

13. Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists

Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.

14. Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired

Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

Noelle Pikus-Pace Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.

15. Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.

16. J.R. Celski not on U.S. short track team for World Cups

Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

J.R. Celski Getty Images

Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.

17. Simone Biles returns home to pack of gymnasts (video)

Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Simone Biles

Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.

18. Ryan Lochte makes teen swimmer’s wish come true

Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.

19. Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season

Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games