Very pregnant Alysia Montano runs at U.S. Championships

Jun 26, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT

Alysia Montano Getty Images

Olympian Alysia Montano entered the 800m at the U.S. Championships about six weeks before her due date on Thursday.

Montano, a five-time U.S. outdoor champion, clocked 2 minutes, 32.13 seconds to finish last in her eight-woman preliminary heat, 24.38 seconds behind her closest competitor. Here’s video of her race.

“I’ve been running through my entire pregnancy, and I felt really, really good during the whole process,” Montano told reporters after her race in Sacramento, Calif. “I definitely was like, OK, I think I can run a pretty decent time. I didn’t have a time on it [that I wanted to run]. I just knew I didn’t want to get lapped, be the first person to ever get lapped in an 800m. More than anything, I wanted to be here, and I’m feeling that fire and that desire to be on the track and to race. What a better avenue than to do it at USA Nationals.”

[WATCH LIVE: U.S. Championships, Friday at 10 pm ET]

Montano, the four-time reigning U.S. champion, had a previous qualifying time that allowed her to enter the competition. She said she consulted her doctor and midwife, who encouraged her to race 34 weeks into her pregnancy.

“That took away any fear of what the outside world might think about a woman running in pregnancy or exercise in general,” said Montano, wearing a customary flower in her hair. “What I found out mostly was that exercising and maintaining during pregnancy is actually much better for the mom and the baby.”

She received a standing ovation at Sacramento State’s Hornet Stadium.

“I just felt so supported,” she said. “I didn’t want to be judged or have any ill things said about me. I just wanted to kind of do what my heart and my desire wanted to do.”

Montano said she knew she wouldn’t advance out of the first round. Rather, she viewed her participation as a celebration.

“We see so many people in different avenues in their life start their family, and it looks so different than it does for a professional athlete, especially for a professional athlete woman,” said Montano, whose due date is Aug. 13. “You’ve seen [four-time Olympic middle distance runner] Bernard Lagat have two kids, and we don’t see the other side of it. This is what it looks like to be a professional athlete as a woman.”

Montano, 28, finished fifth in the Olympic 800m and fourth at the 2011 and 2013 World Championships. No American woman has won an Olympic 800m medal since Kim Gallagher‘s bronze in 1988.

USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships broadcast schedule

Latest Posts
  1. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction

Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT

April Ross, Kerri Walsh Jennings Getty Images

Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.

2. Oksana Chusovitina, 39, eyes all-around at World Gymnastics Championships

Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT

Oksana Chusovitina Getty Images

Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.

3. Australia swim star Grant Hackett returns to training, dismisses Rio

Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT

Grant Hackett Getty Images

“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”

4. Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Wallace Spearmon Getty Images

Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.

5. Viktoria Komova out of World Gymnastics Championships, report says

Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Viktoria Komova Getty Images

Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.

6. South Korea hockey teams given spots in 2018 Olympics

Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.

7. Carolina Kostner skips hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.

8. Jens Voigt bikes 31.7 miles in 1 hour, breaks record

Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jens Voigt Getty Images

Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.

9. Rio Olympic Village more than 50 percent complete

Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Village

Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.

10. Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards

Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.

11. Yelena Isinbayeva set to return to pole vault training, report says

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Yelena Isinbayeva Getty Images

Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.

12. Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team

Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Simone Biles, Kyla Ross Getty Images

Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?

13. Edmonton Oilers hire Olympic pairs champion as skating coach

Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

David Pelletier Getty Images

Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.

14. Kaitlyn Farrington, Olympic halfpipe champ, eyes slopestyle at Dew Tour

Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

Kaitlyn Farrington Getty Images

Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.

15. Curling sculpture unveiled at Olympic Museum (photos)

Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Curling statue

Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.

16. Paula Radcliffe set for first race since pulling out of London Olympics

Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT

Paula Radcliffe Getty Images

World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.

17. Hicham El Guerrouj, King of the Mile, could still run fast at 40

Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Hicham El Guerrouj Getty Images

Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.

18. Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi

Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.

19. Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’

Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT

Lolo Jones Getty Images

Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”