Jun 23, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
It’s hard to imagine Michael Phelps swimming in the year 2080.
But that would be the equivalent of what Adolph Kiefer does every day. Kiefer won 100m backstroke gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics presided over by Adolf Hitler.
He is 95 now and still spends an hour in the pool daily, swimming “au naturel” unless visitors are present, according to the Chicago Tribune. He has neuropathy in his hands and legs.
“Oh, this is heaven,” he told the newspaper of being in the water. “How could you be without this?”
Kiefer was 17 at the 1936 Olympics and would go on to hold world records in every backstroke event. He met Hitler and shook his hand.
“If I would have known then what we found out later, I would’ve thrown him in the pool,” Kiefer told the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials.
There were no Olympics in 1940 or 1944 due to World War II. So, Kiefer turned down the Hollywood role of Tarzan, opting to become Lt. Kiefer, the officer in charge of swimming for the U.S. Navy. He’s credited with teaching thousands swim safety and how to survive in the water.
He later created his own business, Kiefer & Associates, whose swim products included lane lines, kickboards and racing suits.
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)