Jun 20, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
World champion swimmer Ariana Kukors‘ retirement lasted about one year.
Kukors, the 2009 World champion and world record holder in the 200m individual medley, announced last summer she had tossed aside her cap and goggles.
She was a correspondent for Seattle NBC affiliate KING 5 at the Sochi Olympics, where the atmosphere played a role in inspiring her return. She detailed her thoughts in a blog.
“[We] were standing together when the Olympic cauldron lit up, and I didn’t realize what the Olympics meant to me until that moment,” Kukors, 25, who finished fifth in her only Olympic swim, the 2012 200m IM, told KING 5. “I need to do this, it’s so amazing. I need to do this.
“The pool is the essence of my soul.”
Kukors will live and train at USC, where close friend and Olympic champion breaststroker Rebecca Soni used to train. She hopes to return to competition next year, according to KING 5.
Soni, 27, is still retired.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
One U.S. Olympian even held a press conference.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
The Sarajevo 1984 gold medalist’s health continues to deteriorate.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
Harrison’s coach wants to see her lose at the World Championships.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The full competition schedule was released Tuesday.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
“Douglas Family Gold” is the working title.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
England FA couldn’t get backing from the three other federations.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman are attempting what six other Olympic medalists before them failed.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Gatlin may have gotten an up-close look at his biggest U.S. threat on Saturday.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Argentina is in jeopardy of not qualifying for the Rio Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
It marked Jorgensen’s largest margin of victory in her World Triathlon Series career.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
But they haven’t decided on the 2018 Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir and Tracy Wilson are on the call.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
How they fared against World champion Simone Biles.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”
Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.
- Olympians enjoy April Fools’ Day on social media 0
- Kayla Harrison, back from collapse, rivaled by Brazilian for repeat gold in Rio 0
- Rio 2016 Olympics day-by-day events to watch 0
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 1
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)