Amy Van Dyken-Rouen: There was a good chance I wasn’t going to make it

Jun 18, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Olympic champion swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen was set to fly from a Scottsdale, Ariz., hospital to one in Englewood, Colo., on Wednesday, 12 days after she severed her spine in an all-terrain vehicle accident.

Van Dyken-Rouen, who won six golds over the 1996 and 2000 Olympics, was in good spirits in a video from her hospital bed shared on TODAY on Wednesday.

“I just wanted to thank you guys and everyone who watches the TODAY show for all of your support, all of your prayers and positive vibes,” she said. “It’s definitely helping.”

Van Dyken-Rouen talked further, tearing up and explaining the extreme risk before her surgery less than two weeks ago, according to USA Today.

“[The neurosurgeon] told [husband] Tom and I to say our goodbyes,” she said, according to the newspaper. “There was a good chance I wasn’t going to make it out of surgery. It was one of those things where I looked at my husband and basically said, ‘I love you, goodbye, please continue on with your life.’ I allow you to date, which was hard to say. To do that and then to be here now and to be with him is the most amazing thing.”

Van Dyken-Rouen has paralysis in her legs and broken ribs, in addition to the severed spine, according to the report.

“I’m excited to get to this new part of my life,” Van Dyken-Rouen said. “It’s almost like a rebirth. I get to learn how to do everything all over again. I’m anxious to do that. It’s time to start so I can get back to Arizona and start my new life, I guess.”

Van Dyken-Rouen has provided updates over the last week on Twitter and Instagram.

“I will see you later,” she said, smiling. “Wheels up!”

Patty Mills, NBA Finals star, has quite an Olympic backstory

Latest Posts
  1. Australian women break 4x100m free relay world record

Jul 24, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT

Cate Campbell Getty Images

How it impacts the U.S. and potential Olympic history for Missy Franklin.

2. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross clicking ahead of World Series of Beach Volleyball

Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Kerri Walsh Getty Images

U.S. pair is top seed at biggest tournament in the U.S. this year.

3. Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games

Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Mo Farah AP

Lingering illness keeps Olympic, World champion from competing.

4. Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie

Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Jayde Taylor

Australian field hockey player’s photo goes viral.

5. Japan’s prime minister wants to hold Robot Olympics in 2020

Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Mideast Iran RoboCup AP

Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”

6. Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

2012 Olympic Games - Opening Ceremony Getty Images

Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.

7. USOC to meet with leaders from 2024 Olympic bid candidate cities

Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

USOC logo Getty Images

Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.

8. London Olympic cauldron plagiarism dispute settled

Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

London Olympic Cauldron Getty Images

LOCOG acknowledges U.S. firm submitted designs that ended up being part of the cauldron.

9. Stella McCartney to design Rio 2016 uniforms for Great Britain

Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Stella McCartney Getty Images

Fashion star also created Team GB kits for London 2012.

10. Vin Baker’s gold medal from 2000 Olympics set for auction

Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Vin Baker Getty Images

Opening bid much higher than final price for another Olympic basketball medal.

11. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

12. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

13. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

14. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

15. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

16. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

17. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.