Amy Van Dyken-Rouen: There was a good chance I wasn’t going to make it

Jun 18, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Olympic champion swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen was set to fly from a Scottsdale, Ariz., hospital to one in Englewood, Colo., on Wednesday, 12 days after she severed her spine in an all-terrain vehicle accident.

Van Dyken-Rouen, who won six golds over the 1996 and 2000 Olympics, was in good spirits in a video from her hospital bed shared on TODAY on Wednesday.

“I just wanted to thank you guys and everyone who watches the TODAY show for all of your support, all of your prayers and positive vibes,” she said. “It’s definitely helping.”

Van Dyken-Rouen talked further, tearing up and explaining the extreme risk before her surgery less than two weeks ago, according to USA Today.

“[The neurosurgeon] told [husband] Tom and I to say our goodbyes,” she said, according to the newspaper. “There was a good chance I wasn’t going to make it out of surgery. It was one of those things where I looked at my husband and basically said, ‘I love you, goodbye, please continue on with your life.’ I allow you to date, which was hard to say. To do that and then to be here now and to be with him is the most amazing thing.”

Van Dyken-Rouen has paralysis in her legs and broken ribs, in addition to the severed spine, according to the report.

“I’m excited to get to this new part of my life,” Van Dyken-Rouen said. “It’s almost like a rebirth. I get to learn how to do everything all over again. I’m anxious to do that. It’s time to start so I can get back to Arizona and start my new life, I guess.”

Van Dyken-Rouen has provided updates over the last week on Twitter and Instagram.

“I will see you later,” she said, smiling. “Wheels up!”

Patty Mills, NBA Finals star, has quite an Olympic backstory

Latest Posts
  1. Rio Olympics volunteer registration opens

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

Rio 2016 Olympics Getty Images

Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.

2. Yao Ming reflects on Beijing 2008 at Youth Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Yao Ming, Lewis Johnson

Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.

3. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

4. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

5. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.

6. Shakur Stevenson wins Youth Olympic boxing gold; Rio next? (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Shakur Stevenson Getty Images

Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.

7. Youth Olympics 8x100m champion relay team crosses continents, events, genders (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT

Youth Olympics 8x100m relay Getty Images

Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.

8. Tanith Belbin visits Youth Olympics Sports Lab (video)

Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Tanith Belbin

Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.

9. Rio Olympics have first qualified entries

Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Germany equestrian Getty Images

German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.

10. Youth Olympic ambassador Chad le Clos reflects on beating Michael Phelps (video)

Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Chad le Clos Getty Images

Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.

11. Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return

Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Jonathan Horton Getty Images

Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.

12. 8x100m relay with 500 athletes to finish Youth Olympics track competition

Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Baton Getty Images

Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.

13. Youth Olympians reunited for first time in 12 years

Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

Ava Lorein Verdeflor Getty Images

Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.

14. Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video)

Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT

Sam Mikulak Getty Images

“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.

15. Tori Bowie pulls up at Birmingham Diamond League; recap

Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT

Tori Bowie Getty Images

Mo Farah breaks a European record; Allyson Felix fails to make 100m final.

16. Usain Bolt ends his season

Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Bolt has his slowest season since 2007.

17. Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs

Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Ledecky faster in 1500m free at 17 than Ryan Lochte was at 19 in 2004.