Jun 12, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
The International Skating Union voted to propose the addition of a mass start speed skating event to the Olympic program beginning in 2018, according to Dutch reports.
The mass start, where up to 20 skaters race around the oval at the same time for 15 laps (women) or 20 laps (men), has been on the World Cup program each of the last three seasons.
The ISU also wants to change the 500m to one race instead of two, according to Dutch reports. It switched from one race to two races beginning with the 1998 Olympics.
It’s up to the International Olympic Committee to ratify the proposals.
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Bode Miller out until January due to back surgery 0
- Peter Forsberg and the Olympics 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)