Jun 12, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
The International Skating Union voted to propose the addition of a mass start speed skating event to the Olympic program beginning in 2018, according to Dutch reports.
The mass start, where up to 20 skaters race around the oval at the same time for 15 laps (women) or 20 laps (men), has been on the World Cup program each of the last three seasons.
The ISU also wants to change the 500m to one race instead of two, according to Dutch reports. It switched from one race to two races beginning with the 1998 Olympics.
It’s up to the International Olympic Committee to ratify the proposals.
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)