Jun 1, 2014, 6:46 PM EST
California completed a perfect run through the Collegiate Rugby Championship, winning its second straight national title Sunday.
Cal beat Kutztown 24-21 in the final at PPL Park in Chester, Pa., its sixth win in as many matches at the three-day tournament. It was the top quarterfinal seed coming out of Friday and Saturday pool play and beat Penn State (34-5) and UCLA (20-17) in the quarters and semis earlier Sunday.
Cal, long the national power in the more traditional 15-a-side rugby, joined Dartmouth as the only two-time champions in the five-year history of the Collegiate Rugby Championship for rugby sevens. Utah beat Cal for the first title in 2010.
Rugby sevens was added to the Olympic program for the Rio 2016 Games, and it’s possible players from the Collegiate Rugby Championship may make the U.S. Olympic Team, should the Americans qualify.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)