Jun 1, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
California completed a perfect run through the Collegiate Rugby Championship, winning its second straight national title Sunday.
Cal beat Kutztown 24-21 in the final at PPL Park in Chester, Pa., its sixth win in as many matches at the three-day tournament. It was the top quarterfinal seed coming out of Friday and Saturday pool play and beat Penn State (34-5) and UCLA (20-17) in the quarters and semis earlier Sunday.
Cal, long the national power in the more traditional 15-a-side rugby, joined Dartmouth as the only two-time champions in the five-year history of the Collegiate Rugby Championship for rugby sevens. Utah beat Cal for the first title in 2010.
Rugby sevens was added to the Olympic program for the Rio 2016 Games, and it’s possible players from the Collegiate Rugby Championship may make the U.S. Olympic Team, should the Americans qualify.
- Will Abby Wambach play in Rio? 0
- Rory McIlroy ruptures ankle ligment 2
- U.S. Women undefeated after opening of indoor volleyball Grand Prix tournament 0
- Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships 0
- Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League 0
- Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)