May 28, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
New York will not attempt to bid for the 2024 Olympics, a top member of Mayor Bill de Blasio‘s staff told the Wall Street Journal.
De Blasio recently reviewed the possibility of a bid, and it “doesn’t make sense,” deputy mayor for housing and economic development Alicia Glen told the newspaper.
Earlier this month, it was reported that New York Governor Andrew Cuomo was seriously assessing an Olympic bid for New York, which made a failed bid for the 2012 Olympics.
At the time, a spokesman for the mayor said an Olympic bid was not being considered.
New York would have been a very late entrant into the running for a potential U.S. bid for the 2024 Olympics.
The U.S. Olympic Committee is expected to narrow its list of candidates for a 2024 bid over the next month and decide ultimately if it will bid by the end of the year, and which city.
Cities in the running include Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington, most or all of which have put together bid plans and been visited by USOC representatives last winter. (Update: Philadelphia is out of the running its mayor announced Wednesday).
New York’s 2012 bid was eliminated in the second round of International Olympic Committee voting on July 6, 2005, when London won.
The U.S. also bid for the 2016 Olympics, with Chicago, and lost to Rio de Janeiro. It has not bid since and has not hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Winter Games.
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 2
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)