May 24, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
Only once has the U.S. men’s basketball team not won a gold medal since professionals entered the Olympics. Here’s your chance to own a piece of that history.
An auction company is listing a 2004 Olympic bronze medal won by Carmelo Anthony. The auction, which began at $4,500, is scheduled to run to June 9.
Anthony, coming off his rookie NBA season, was one of the youngest members of the 2004 U.S. Olympic men’s basketball team that lost to Puerto Rico (by 19 points) and Lithuania in the group stage and then eventual gold medalist Argentina in the semifinals.
Though the U.S. recovered for bronze, beating Lithuania 104-96, the 2004 team is largely seen as the impetus for the “Redeem Team” of 2008, where the NBA’s best players made it a mission to win the gold back for the U.S.
Anthony won gold on the 2008 and 2012 U.S. teams after receiving little playing time in 2004. He averaged 2.4 points per game in Athens, according to sports-reference.com.
Anthony was disappointed with the bronze medal and gave it to a family member as a gift, according to Julien’s Auctions, which says it has documentation from the family member that it will give to the winning bidder.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first World title for the Americans on home ice.
May 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
They had been together for nearly three years.
May 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Both teams crushed their first four opponents to reach this final rematch.
May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s a rematch of the 2013 World Championship final.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.
May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.
May 1, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Bolt and Gatlin could go head to head at the IAAF World Relays this weekend.
Apr 30, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
She finished radiation on March 31 and is 99 percent confident she’s cancer-free.
Apr 30, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
“I had prepared my entire life for this one moment and I knew there would not be another opportunity.”
Apr 29, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
The U.S. is undefeated in three games.
Apr 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The U.S. looks to clinch a berth in the semifinals.
Apr 29, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Chess officials believe the sport may have a better shot to join the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics.
Apr 29, 2015, 8:14 AM EDT
Cameras will start following Bolt in May.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
“My mission in life has never seemed clearer.”
Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
The IOC will also provide assistance to the Himalayan nation.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
The U.S. has one more preliminary game left before the medal round.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. can move closer to clinching a semifinal berth.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The five-time Olympic medalist also discussed getting to know Mark Spitz in a Q&A.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Austrian Alpine skiers with eight combined Olympic medals also got hitched.
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 6
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 1
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Jillion Potter done with cancer treatment, eyes U.S. rugby return, Olympics 0
- Jeremy Bloom recalls 2006 Olympics in ‘Fueled by Failure’ 0
- Missy Franklin on her dream relay, unusual autographs, ‘the worm’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)