May 21, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Justin Gatlin clocked 9.87 seconds in a 100m in Beijing on Wednesday, improving on his world lead set three days ago.
Gatlin, the 2004 Olympic 100m champion and reigning world silver medalist, beat a field at the 2008 Olympic Stadium that included 2013 World Championships finalist Mike Rodgers and 2003 world champion Kim Collins. Rodgers and Collins were second and third in 10.03 and 10.11 into zero wind, respectively.
Gatlin’s victory came three days after he won a Diamond League 100m in Shanghai in 9.92 seconds.
Usain Bolt, whom Gatlin beat once last season, hasn’t raced yet this season and had a minor foot injury in March. He is next scheduled to compete in Ostrava, Czech Republic, on June 17.
The next Diamond League meet is the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene, Ore., on May 31.
In other Beijing sprints, seven-time Jamaican Olympic medalist Veronica Campbell-Brown won the women’s 100m in 11.14 seconds, .14 off the world lead for 2014. Campbell-Brown is back after missing most of last season after testing positive for a banned diuretic, though she was cleared of doping due to flaws in test collection procedures and possible contamination of her urine sample.
World champion Brianna Rollins equaled the best 100m hurdles time of 2014 with a win in 12.58 seconds. Rollins and Kristi Castlin also ran 12.58 at the Drake Relays on April 26. Rollins, 22, bettered 12.50 four times last year.
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets 1
- Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday 0
- Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics 0
- Flashback: Michael Phelps at the Sydney 2000 Olympics 0
- Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships 0
- Boston 2024 releases Olympic bid version 2.0 (photos) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)