May 19, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
If the U.S. is to bid for the 2024 Olympics, it may well go up against Russia.
St. Petersburg, which was reported in October to likely bid for an upcoming Olympics, is optimistic on applying for 2024, according to comments from its Governor in the media outlet sports.ru.
“We are eyeing this prospect,” Governor Georgy Poltavchenko said at the Sochi Olympics in February. Insidethegames reported in April that St. Petersburg was out of the running for 2024 due to financial issues.
That does not appear to be the case anymore. Bidding for the 2024 Olympics begins next year, with a U.S. city, Rome and Paris among the most talked-about potential applicants.
St. Petersburg was an applicant city for the 2004 Olympics but did not make the list of candidate cities. In addition to hosting the 2014 Olympics, Russia will also host the 2018 World Cup.
The only previous time Russia hosted the Olympics was in Moscow in 1980. If St. Petersburg submitted a 2024 bid and won, it would mark 10 years between Olympics for Russia.
The last time a nation hosted two Olympics within that short a gap was when the U.S. hosted in 1996 (Atlanta) and 2002 (Salt Lake City). The U.S. is in the midst of its longest span between hosting the Olympics since 1932 to 1960.
- Dara Torres picks greatest female swimmer(s) of all time, recalls teenage Michael Phelps, more in Q&A 1
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross withdraw from Moscow Grand Slam 0
- Prefontaine Classic preview, schedule, broadcast info 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 1
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)