May 14, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Lindsey Vonn is “right on track, if not slightly ahead” in her recovery from her latest knee surgery in January that caused her to miss the Sochi Olympics.
She and Tiger Woods have been leaning on each other during rehab, she told The Associated Press. Woods missed the Masters in April after back surgery.
“Rehab is not a fun thing to do — it’s very monotonous and tedious and a lot of the same exercises over and over and over,” Vonn, 29, told the AP. “But if you’re going through rehab, it’s nice to have a partner to do this with … someone who relates to your situation and that you can talk to, rehab and train together.”
Vonn’s time frame to return to ski racing is unchanged. She hopes to return to snow Oct. 1 and could race in the first week of December in Lake Louise, Alberta, if all goes well.
Vonn has split her rehab time in her native Colorado and Florida, recently being cleared to ride a road bike and promptly going on a 20-mile trek, according to the AP.
“I feel like I’m making really good progress now,” she said.
In March, Vonn said her rehab was “slow going” from January surgery to repair her right ACL in the same knee she blew out at the February 2013 World Championships.
Had Vonn been able to race in the Sochi Olympics, defending her 2010 Olympic downhill title, she said she would have retired after the 2014-15 season and next February’s World Championships in Vail/Beaver Creek, Colo. Now she’s committed to another Olympic cycle.
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 5
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)