Skip to content

Ryan Lochte out of Charlotte Grand Prix, publicist says

May 13, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte AP

Ryan Lochte will not swim in the Arena Grand Prix at Charlotte that begins Thursday, pulling out as a precautionary measure because the knee from his previous MCL tear was bothering him, his publicist said in an email.

Lochte’s swim team later confirmed the news.

“We are going to exercise precautionary measures this weekend, as his knee continues to bother him,” Dr. Jason Batley said in a press release. “We don’t want him to push through pain if that would be counterproductive to ongoing recovery. While we want him back quickly, we want him back safely as well.”

It’s the third straight Grand Prix meet that Lochte has been impacted by knee or leg issues since returning from his Nov. 2 fan incident. Lochte said a fan ran to him, he caught her, they both fell to the ground and his knee hit a curb in Gainesville, Fla., last year.

Lochte, who now lives and trains in Charlotte, said he pushed the knee too hard in returning at a meet in Orlando in February, and it hurt afterward. He then scratched out of the last finals session of the Mesa Grand Prix on April 26, when he tweaked the knee in warm-ups.

It’s unknown if Lochte will swim the next Grand Prix event in Santa Clara, Calif., from June 19-22.

Lochte had been scheduled to swim in two events with Michael Phelps in Charlotte, the 100m butterfly and 200m freestyle. Lochte beat Phelps in the 100m butterfly in Mesa, which was Phelps’ first meet since the 2012 Olympics.

Sun Yang’s return sets up potential legendary race

  1. jstreet16 - May 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

    Lochte is going to screw around and end up missing Rio due to prolonging his need for knee surgery.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!