May 13, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is “seriously assessing the viability of an Olympic bid for New York City,” according to the Financial Times, citing an unnamed source “familiar with the situation” of a pitch for the 2024 Olympics.
Asked about the report, a governor’s administration official said the governor’s office has not received a proposal yet but is open to reviewing one if and when that happens.
The Financial Times source said talks are taking place between representatives of Cuomo and New York City mayor Bill de Blasio and an advisory committee will likely be formed soon.
However, the report quoted a mayor’s spokesman saying an Olympic bid “is not something the administration is considering at this time,” which echoes what a different mayor spokesman said in February.
The U.S. Olympic Committee is expected to narrow its list of candidates for a 2024 bid over the next month or two and decide ultimately if it will bid by the end of the year, and which city.
Other cities in the running include Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington, most or all of which have put together bid plans and been visited by USOC representatives last winter.
New York made a failed bid for the 2012 Olympics, getting eliminated in the second round of International Olympic Committee voting on July 6, 2005, when London won.
The U.S. also bid for the 2016 Olympics, with Chicago, and lost to Rio de Janeiro. It has not bid since and has not hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Winter Games.
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events 0
- Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)