May 12, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Russian president Vladimir Putin scored six goals with five assists as his hockey team won the final game of an amateur series 21-4 in Sochi on Saturday, according to Russian reports.
Putin, 61, played on a team that included retired NHL All-Stars Pavel Bure and Valeri Kamensky.
“[Putin] has set himself the goal of playing hockey,” Bure said, according to Russian news agency ITAR-TASS. “Several years ago he said, ‘I will do it!’ Now you can see the result — six goals. One needs all the skillfulness to score so many times. That the president of the world’s largest country with a busy schedule has learnt to play ice hockey and found time for that is an indication of his excellent shape.”
Putin also played hockey in Sochi in a game that included Belarus’ president one month before the Winter Olympics in January.
“There are no winners or losers here,” Putin said Saturday, according to ITAR-TASS. “This is a friendly game.”
Here are photos of Putin in action, from The Associated Press:
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)