May 12, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Russian president Vladimir Putin scored six goals with five assists as his hockey team won the final game of an amateur series 21-4 in Sochi on Saturday, according to Russian reports.
Putin, 61, played on a team that included retired NHL All-Stars Pavel Bure and Valeri Kamensky.
“[Putin] has set himself the goal of playing hockey,” Bure said, according to Russian news agency ITAR-TASS. “Several years ago he said, ‘I will do it!’ Now you can see the result — six goals. One needs all the skillfulness to score so many times. That the president of the world’s largest country with a busy schedule has learnt to play ice hockey and found time for that is an indication of his excellent shape.”
Putin also played hockey in Sochi in a game that included Belarus’ president one month before the Winter Olympics in January.
“There are no winners or losers here,” Putin said Saturday, according to ITAR-TASS. “This is a friendly game.”
Here are photos of Putin in action, from The Associated Press:
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 0
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)