Vladimir Putin gets 6 goals, 5 assists in Sochi hockey game (video)

May 12, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Russian president Vladimir Putin scored six goals with five assists as his hockey team won the final game of an amateur series 21-4 in Sochi on Saturday, according to Russian reports.

Putin, 61, played on a team that included retired NHL All-Stars Pavel Bure and Valeri Kamensky.

“[Putin] has set himself the goal of playing hockey,” Bure said, according to Russian news agency ITAR-TASS. “Several years ago he said, ‘I will do it!’ Now you can see the result — six goals. One needs all the skillfulness to score so many times. That the president of the world’s largest country with a busy schedule has learnt to play ice hockey and found time for that is an indication of his excellent shape.”

Putin also played hockey in Sochi in a game that included Belarus’ president one month before the Winter Olympics in January.

“There are no winners or losers here,” Putin said Saturday, according to ITAR-TASS. “This is a friendly game.”

Here are photos of Putin in action, from The Associated Press:

source:

source: AP

source: AP

source: AP

source: AP

source: AP

source: AP

source: AP

source: AP

IOC calls report Rio Olympics could move to Moscow ‘fantasy’

1. atahualpaoxford - May 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I guess when you play against him, friendly game or not, you better let him score at will…
    Or you may wind up doing force labor in a gulag in Siberia…lol..lol..

2. kitnamania13 - May 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM

This accomplishment is nowhere near as impressive as Kim Jong Il’s 11-holes-in-one, 38-under-par performance that he put up the first time he ever played golf.

3. bkg63 - May 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Was anyone REALLY going to try and defense the Russian President??? Ha! Ha!

4. bustinnutz - May 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM

And after the game Putin was voted the MVP by “majority vote” and immediately drafted by the Moscow CCCP’s of the Russian Hockey League

5. bbk1000 - May 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I’ve never skated in my life and I’m thinking I could skate circles around him….I hope he had one of those Lifecall devices in case he fell and could not get up….

Seriously this was comical, thanks.

6. circleseven7777 - May 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Good for Putin. Our Muslim President would not even think about getting hit on ice. LOL he only wants to ride his bicycle wearing a helmet. LOL

7. glestonsimmons - May 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Lookin’ good, Putie!

8. jkaflagg - May 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Sounds like the Moscow Generals provided the competition….does anyone really think an opposition player would dare touch the guy, much less body check him ? Credit to him for staying in shape but I’m sure he gets checked about as many times as Obama gets fouled hard going to the hoop…..

9. hansenbrothers - May 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM

The goalie is really trying to let those slide by

10. joewilliesshnoz - May 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM

The vodka’s on Vlad !

11. bkg63 - May 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I hear Putin may lace ‘em up for the Pens tonight. He couldn’t have any less of an impact than Crosby at this point!

12. mogogo1 - May 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

My hats off to the goalie… pretty tough to make sure shots that slow get through while still looking like you’re halfway trying to guard the goal. I was surprised Putin’s goal wasn’t 3 times normal size to make it easier on him.