May 6, 2014, 10:46 AM EST
The International Olympic Committee will determine if Tyson Gay‘s 2012 Olympic teammates will be stripped of their 4x100m silver medals, according to the IAAF, track and field’s international governing body.
“Although our rules say clearly ‘team forfeits medals,’ the IOC has control of the medals for the Olympics,” Nick Davies, deputy secretary general for the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), told Reuters in an email.
Gay’s backdated one-year suspension for last year’s failed drug tests was announced Friday by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. With it, all of his results since July 15, 2012, were disqualified, and he returned his 2012 Olympic silver medal to the U.S. Olympic Committee, USADA said.
Davies referred to IAAF Rule 41:
1. Where the Athlete who has committed an anti-doping rule violation competed as a member of a relay team, the relay team shall be automatically disqualified from the Event in question, with all resulting consequences for the relay team, including the forfeiture of all titles, awards, medals, points and prize money.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST
Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.
Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST
“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”
Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.
Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST
The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.
Feb 24, 2015, 1:13 PM EST
Powell says he hasn’t competed since 2001.
Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.
Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST
Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.
Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Inside the locker room with the players and more.
Feb 24, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
Liukin is the third U.S. Olympic champion gymnast to go on the show.
Feb 22, 2015, 8:51 AM EST
Shiffrin won her 13th World Cup race as a teen, bettered by only one woman in history.
Feb 22, 2015, 8:19 AM EST
Ross joins a long line of Olympic women’s gymnasts to choose UCLA.
Feb 22, 2015, 8:06 AM EST
Phelps is expected to return to competition following his suspension in April.
Feb 21, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
All living members joked and reminisced in the “Relive the Miracle” ceremony at Herb Brooks Arena.
Feb 21, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Look for more on the Miracle on Ice reunion on NBC’s Hockey Day in American coverage on Sunday at noon ET.
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship 0
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Mike Powell eyes masters world record, possible Olympic trials run at age 51 0
- Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion 0
- Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)