May 6, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
The International Olympic Committee will determine if Tyson Gay‘s 2012 Olympic teammates will be stripped of their 4x100m silver medals, according to the IAAF, track and field’s international governing body.
“Although our rules say clearly ‘team forfeits medals,’ the IOC has control of the medals for the Olympics,” Nick Davies, deputy secretary general for the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), told Reuters in an email.
Gay’s backdated one-year suspension for last year’s failed drug tests was announced Friday by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. With it, all of his results since July 15, 2012, were disqualified, and he returned his 2012 Olympic silver medal to the U.S. Olympic Committee, USADA said.
Davies referred to IAAF Rule 41:
1. Where the Athlete who has committed an anti-doping rule violation competed as a member of a relay team, the relay team shall be automatically disqualified from the Event in question, with all resulting consequences for the relay team, including the forfeiture of all titles, awards, medals, points and prize money.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
IOC will choose between Almaty, Kazakhstan, and Beijing after Oslo dropout.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Video of bizarre scene during medal ceremony.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing are the two remaining finalists.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Marathon world record smasher reportedly already has 2015 plans.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Game will be played in South Korea with more than a gold medal at stake.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Trankov’s shoudler injury cited in withdrawing.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Olympic team champion trained with her hip and thigh taped Wednesday.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Vonn strapped on skis in Austria, preparing for her World Cup return later this fall.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Sprinter discusses Usain Bolt, reflects on 2014 and looks ahead to 2015.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
The 22-time Olympic medalist was pulled over in Maryland overnight.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
U.S.’ previous biggest blowout was 70 points over Senegal.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Competition for the U.S. begins Saturday.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Summer and Winter Olympian previously said she was all but retired.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Vancouver downhill champion expected to ski in Austria on Wednesday.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Canadian joins long list of skaters sitting out this season.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Hungarian matched her Monday output on Tuesday but lacked top competition.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Olympic slalom champion also gave an update on her 2014-15 plans.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
They call her the “Iron Lady” of swimming.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
ISU asks for synchronized skating and a new speed skating event for 2018.
- IOC will not reopen 2022 Olympic bidding 0
- Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote 0
- Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season 0
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 3
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 1
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)