Roger Bannister reveals he has Parkinson’s disease

May 2, 2014, 9:15 AM EST

Roger Bannister AP

Roger Bannister, the first man to run a sub-4-minute mile nearly 60 years ago, said he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease three years ago in a radio interview.

“I am having troubles with walking, so I do have difficulties,” Bannister, a former neurologist, said on BBC Radio Oxford. “Ironically, it’s a neurological disorder, Parkinson’s, but I’m being well looked after, and I don’t intend to let it interfere with my other activities as much as I can.”

Bannister, 85, ran a mile in 3 minutes, 59.4 seconds at Oxford on May 6, 1954, to become the first person to break the four-minute barrier. He also finished fourth in the 1500m at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics and won gold medals in the 1954 Commonwealth Games and European Championships.

“Life has its physical challenges, and I’ve not been free of other illness, but I take every day as it comes,” Bannister said. “The pleasure that I see is, much of it, directed towards what my grandchildren are achieving.

“As I once said when someone was commiserating with me, having this illness, I said, ‘But just consider the alternatives,'” Bannister said. “That’s the way I look at it.”

World’s oldest-ever Olympian passes away

Latest Posts
  1. Mikaela Shiffrin ends podium drought in Kuhtai giant slalom (video)

Dec 28, 2014, 1:32 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Shiffrin gave up her lead after the first run but hung on for third in foggy conditions.

2. Jordyn Wieber not planning on Rio Olympics, report says

Dec 28, 2014, 8:56 AM EST

Jordyn Wieber Getty Images

Wieber hasn’t competed since the London Olympics.

3. Travis Ganong bags first Alpine skiing World Cup win (video)

Dec 28, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Ganong became the third U.S. man to win this season.

4. Tatsuki Machida retires from figure skating

Dec 28, 2014, 8:26 AM EST

Tatsuki Machida Getty Images

Machida, 24, surprisingly made the announcement after finishing fourth at the Japanese Championships.

5. Adelina Sotnikova named European Championships alternate

Dec 28, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

AP AP

Russia selects three women for European Championships, but neither of its Sochi Olympians.

6. Olympic Year in Review: Headlines

Dec 26, 2014, 1:25 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Several stories kept our attention throughout the year.

7. Olympic Year in Review: Social Media

Dec 25, 2014, 3:56 PM EST

Wolf

A fake wolf, a prom crasher and #Karching.

8. Olympic Year in Review: Photos

Dec 24, 2014, 1:35 PM EST

Sochi Olympic bear

The milestone, emotional and viral images from 2014.

9. Olympic Year in Review: Summer Sports

Dec 23, 2014, 12:35 PM EST

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

As Katie Ledecky reeled off world records, other Olympic stars struggled through adversity.

10. Kazakhstan president: Astana will be involved in Almaty 2022 bid

Dec 23, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Kazakhstan Getty Images

The two cities, separated by 600 miles, shared the 2011 Asian Winter Games.

11. Cathy Freeman’s body suit from Sydney Olympic Opening Ceremony may be found

Dec 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EST

Cathy Freeman Getty Images

Suit has been missing since the night of the 2000 Opening Ceremony.

12. Skier crashes, takes out Bridgestone banner (video)

Dec 22, 2014, 2:38 PM EST

Samu Torsti

Finland’s Samu Torsti slid while wrapped in a banner for 25 seconds.

13. Olympic Year in Review: Winter Sports

Dec 22, 2014, 12:19 PM EST

Sochi 2014 Getty Images

A sport-by-sport breakdown of what we learned in Sochi and beyond.

14. Lindsey Vonn OK after fall in Val d’Isere super-G (video)

Dec 21, 2014, 10:07 AM EST

Lindsey Vonn

Austrian becomes oldest woman to win a World Cup race.

15. Marcel Hirscher holds off Ted Ligety, passes Austrian legend

Dec 21, 2014, 7:37 AM EST

AP AP

The two-man battle for giant slalom supremacy continues.

16. Kaillie Humphries, Elana Meyers Taylor break gender barrier in bobsled World Cup

Dec 20, 2014, 7:37 PM EST

AP AP

Humphries, Meyers Taylor finished 15th, 16th out of 17 sleds.

17. Animation of what Rio Olympic Park will look like (video)

Dec 20, 2014, 5:27 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio’s main Olympic Park will be half the size of London’s Olympic Park.

18. Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record

Dec 20, 2014, 8:40 AM EST

Lindsey Vonn

Background on the woman whose record Vonn is close to breaking.

19. Pope jokes: I won’t be around for 2024 Olympics (video)

Dec 19, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Rome 2024 bid could include events in Vatican City.