May 1, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Two Olympic curling gold medals, including one from the first Olympic curling competition in 1924, were stolen from a Scottish museum Wednesday night.
“A number of very rare artifacts have been stolen,” said David Lockwood, manager of Dumfries Museum, in a press release. “This includes a silver casket, local curling club medals and Olympic gold medals from the 1924 Winter Games and the 2002 Winter Games. The Provost of Maxwelltown chain has also been stolen in the break in.”
The 1924 gold medal, from the first Winter Games in Chamonix, France, belonged to British skip Willie Jackson. Jackson’s rink clubbed the competition in 1924, 38-7 and 46-4 in 18-end games. Olympic curling games are now 10 ends. Jackson died in 1955 at age 84.
The 2002 gold medal belonged to British skip Rhona Martin.
The museum is currently closed, and Scottish police are investigating.
“We are at a very early stage of the investigation, and the items stolen are still to be confirmed, however it includes four curling club medals and two Olympic medals,” chief inspector Steven Lowther said, according to British and Scottish reports. “We are keen to trace the three individuals seen running away from the museum around this time.”
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White look to uncertain future in ice dancing 0
- U.S. women’s volleyball wins breakthrough World Championship (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)