Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays

Apr 24, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

Lolo Jones AP

Lolo Jones said she’s lost more than 20 pounds in transitioning from bobsled back to track and field on the eve of her first race of the season at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa.

“The original was to lose 30 plus pounds,” Jones said. “I lost 10 right away. Like within a few weeks, like 10 pounds melted off really quickly. The next 10 were a little bit harder, but just with a stricter diet I was able to get that. The last five to seven have really been tough.”

Jones, 31, is scheduled to compete in a shuttle hurdle relay Friday night at 8, two months after placing 11th in bobsled at the Sochi Olympics.

Jones said she’s at 142 pounds and would like to get to 135 by the U.S. Outdoor Championships in Sacramento, Calif., beginning June 25. Her listed weight on her Sochi 2014 bio page was 161 pounds.

“I’ve been non-stop for the last two years,” she said. “Of all the athletes, track and bobsled, I have not taken really a week off. I really needed to kind of enjoy a chocolate cake every now and then and not be stressed that my career would be over.”

Jones re-enters a crowded U.S. field in the 100m hurdles this season, including reigning world outdoor champion Brianna Rollins, 22, and world indoor champion Nia Ali, 25.

Jones said her first workouts for track after Sochi made it feel like she “hadn’t hurdled in years,” according to the Des Moines Register.

“The first time I went over hurdles, my form was pretty much equivalent to how I ran in high school,” she said, according to the newspaper. “I felt awkward, and I was carrying extra weight, so when I was coming off the hurdles the first day my ankles were killing me just because there was too much weight I was carrying and I was smashing my legs into the track. I was very off balance, so getting that back into coordination was pretty tough.”

Jones also made a bit of news with this tweet Thursday, referencing New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda.

Meb Keflezighi cheered by thousands of Bostonians again

Latest Posts
  1. Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 5, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT

Brazilian teams finished on top of the podium in both the men’s and women’s finals.

2. Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League

Jul 4, 2015, 6:57 PM EDT

ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA

The two claimed victory in the men’s and women’s 100 meters, while American Evan Jager came heartbreakingly close to making history in the steeplechase.

3. 2012 Olympic 4x100m relay medals officially reallocated after U.S. team stripped of silver

Jul 4, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

Trinidad and Tobago have been upgraded to silver and France to bronze.

4. Bicycle fall takes swimmer Kosuke Hagino out of Worlds

Jul 4, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Kosuke Hagino Kosuke Hagino

The Japanese swimmer confirmed that his right elbow is fractured.

5. Nick Lucena and Theo Brunner final American team in Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 3, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT

AVP Championships at Huntington Beach AVP Championships at Huntington Beach

Three of the four remaining American teams were knocked out in the quarterfinal rounds. Lucena and Brunner will face the Brazilians in semifinals on Saturday.

6. Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London

Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a

In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.

7. Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Screen shot 2015-07-03 at 11.35.56 AM

The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.

8. Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

150704_AllysonFelix Getty Images

Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.

9. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

10. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

11. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

12. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

13. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

14. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

15. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

16. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.

17. Angela Ruggiero to become fourth women’s player in Hockey Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

The 2015 Hall of Fame class also includes four men’s Olympic medalists.

18. Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday

Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Most decorated Olympian of all time turned 30 on Tuesday.

19. Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps still trails a legendary gymnast, U.S. track and field champions and one of his 2004 Olympic swimming teammates.