Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays

Apr 24, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

Lolo Jones AP

Lolo Jones said she’s lost more than 20 pounds in transitioning from bobsled back to track and field on the eve of her first race of the season at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa.

“The original was to lose 30 plus pounds,” Jones said. “I lost 10 right away. Like within a few weeks, like 10 pounds melted off really quickly. The next 10 were a little bit harder, but just with a stricter diet I was able to get that. The last five to seven have really been tough.”

Jones, 31, is scheduled to compete in a shuttle hurdle relay Friday night at 8, two months after placing 11th in bobsled at the Sochi Olympics.

Jones said she’s at 142 pounds and would like to get to 135 by the U.S. Outdoor Championships in Sacramento, Calif., beginning June 25. Her listed weight on her Sochi 2014 bio page was 161 pounds.

“I’ve been non-stop for the last two years,” she said. “Of all the athletes, track and bobsled, I have not taken really a week off. I really needed to kind of enjoy a chocolate cake every now and then and not be stressed that my career would be over.”

Jones re-enters a crowded U.S. field in the 100m hurdles this season, including reigning world outdoor champion Brianna Rollins, 22, and world indoor champion Nia Ali, 25.

Jones said her first workouts for track after Sochi made it feel like she “hadn’t hurdled in years,” according to the Des Moines Register.

“The first time I went over hurdles, my form was pretty much equivalent to how I ran in high school,” she said, according to the newspaper. “I felt awkward, and I was carrying extra weight, so when I was coming off the hurdles the first day my ankles were killing me just because there was too much weight I was carrying and I was smashing my legs into the track. I was very off balance, so getting that back into coordination was pretty tough.”

Jones also made a bit of news with this tweet Thursday, referencing New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda.

Meb Keflezighi cheered by thousands of Bostonians again

Latest Posts
  1. Russian Olympic bobsled champ Aleksander Zubkov retires

Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT

Alexander Zubkov Getty Images

Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.

2. Jeneba Tarmoh mulls representing Sierra Leone at Rio 2016 Olympics

Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Jeneba Tarmoh Getty Images

Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.

3. IOC to discuss recognizing Kosovo this week

Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.

4. Watch trailers for ‘Touch the Wall’ about Missy Franklin

Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Missy Franklin

Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.

5. Miracle on Ice fantasy camp set for Lake Placid

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Miracle on Ice camp

Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.

6. Daron Rahlves, four-time Olympian, in lightsuit skiing video

Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Daron Rahlves

Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.

7. Boxer attacks referee at European Youth Championships (video)

Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Boxing gloves Getty Images

Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.

8. Norway Olympic Committee president to step down

Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT

Borre Rognlien Getty Images

Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.

9. Oscar Pistorius barred from Rio Paralympics

Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.

10. Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison

Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.

11. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

12. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

13. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

14. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

15. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

16. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

17. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games