Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays

Apr 24, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

Lolo Jones AP

Lolo Jones said she’s lost more than 20 pounds in transitioning from bobsled back to track and field on the eve of her first race of the season at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa.

“The original was to lose 30 plus pounds,” Jones said. “I lost 10 right away. Like within a few weeks, like 10 pounds melted off really quickly. The next 10 were a little bit harder, but just with a stricter diet I was able to get that. The last five to seven have really been tough.”

Jones, 31, is scheduled to compete in a shuttle hurdle relay Friday night at 8, two months after placing 11th in bobsled at the Sochi Olympics.

Jones said she’s at 142 pounds and would like to get to 135 by the U.S. Outdoor Championships in Sacramento, Calif., beginning June 25. Her listed weight on her Sochi 2014 bio page was 161 pounds.

“I’ve been non-stop for the last two years,” she said. “Of all the athletes, track and bobsled, I have not taken really a week off. I really needed to kind of enjoy a chocolate cake every now and then and not be stressed that my career would be over.”

Jones re-enters a crowded U.S. field in the 100m hurdles this season, including reigning world outdoor champion Brianna Rollins, 22, and world indoor champion Nia Ali, 25.

Jones said her first workouts for track after Sochi made it feel like she “hadn’t hurdled in years,” according to the Des Moines Register.

“The first time I went over hurdles, my form was pretty much equivalent to how I ran in high school,” she said, according to the newspaper. “I felt awkward, and I was carrying extra weight, so when I was coming off the hurdles the first day my ankles were killing me just because there was too much weight I was carrying and I was smashing my legs into the track. I was very off balance, so getting that back into coordination was pretty tough.”

Jones also made a bit of news with this tweet Thursday, referencing New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda.

Meb Keflezighi cheered by thousands of Bostonians again

Latest Posts
  1. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

2. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

3. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

4. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

5. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

6. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

7. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.

8. 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters

Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Champion Goldy

Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.

9. Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits

Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Kim Jin-sun AP

Kim Jin-sun had been the committee’s president since October 2011.

10. Mariel Zagunis wins silver at World Fencing Championships (video)

Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Mariel Zagunis Getty Images

U.S. Olympic flag bearer returned to the podium after missing medals at 2012 Olympics, 2013 Worlds.

11. Henry Ellard, former NFL All-Pro receiver, competes at USATF Masters

Jul 18, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

Henry Ellard Getty Images

Ellard triple jumped at 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials.

12. Jesse Owens biopic cast headliners revealed

Jul 17, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

Jesse Owens AP

Multiple Owens biopics in the works.

13. Lifetime doping bans not legal, WADA president says

Jul 17, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Craig Reedie Reuters

But a four-year ban would stand up in court.

14. Olympians, Paralympians at the ESPYs (photos)

Jul 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

Jamie Anderson

Sochi stars and a 12-time Olympic medalist were at Nokia Theater.

15. Monaco Diamond League on world record watch; preview

Jul 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT

Absel Kiprop Getty Images

Asbel Kiprop goes after 16-year-old mark in 1500m.

16. South Korea men’s hockey team might not qualify for 2018

Jul 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

Host countries aren’t assured spots in the Olympics anymore, and South Korea is ranked very low.

17. Paralympic champion Josh Sweeney receives Tillman Award at ESPYs

Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney AP

Sweeney, a Purple Heart recipient, scored the gold-winning goal in Sochi.