Ryan Lochte inspired by Michael Phelps’ return (video)

Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EST

Ryan Lochte said he questioned his future in swimming after a November knee injury, but hearing rumors last fall of Michael Phelps‘ return motivated him.

“I was going through a rough patch after worlds last summer,” Lochte told NBC News. “I took a lot of time off, plus my injury. I almost didn’t come back to the sport of swimming. Then I started hearing rumors of him being in the water, training. I was like, you know what, this is good. This is good for the sport. It’s good for me. We push each other all the time. He knows I’m training hard. I know he’s training hard.”

Lochte, like Phelps, is scheduled to swim in the Arena Grand Prix at Mesa, Ariz., beginning Thursday. Lochte is back after going against doctors’ suggestions racing in Orlando in February, about three and a half months after he reportedly tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell. His knee hit a curb, Lochte’s publicist said.

Lochte said his injured knee hurt after swimming in February, that he pushed it too hard.

The 11-time Olympic medalist is back now and ready to race against Phelps, just like he has at the last three Games. Lochte was not surprised by Phelps’ comeback after 20 months away from competition. He called it as far back as 2012.

“He announced his retirement and everything,” Lochte said. “I was like, don’t kid yourself. You’re going to miss it. You’re going to want to come back. You’re going to miss that limelight. … Once you’ve done something for so long every day pretty much your entire life, then, all of a sudden, it just disappears, you’re going to miss it. Hey, I was right.”

Lochte said there’s no doubt in his mind Phelps will post fast times.

“I don’t think he’s taken really a break,” Lochte said. “I think he’s been in the water. I think he’s just kidding everyone. That’s my guess.”

Phelps no longer with Speedo

Latest Posts
  1. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

2. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

3. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

4. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

5. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

6. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.

7. Louie Vito hopes to stand out after missing Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST

Louie Vito Getty Images

Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.

8. Claressa Shields wins first World Championships bout in 11 seconds (video)

Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.

9. Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 15th, 16th in super-Gs in Colorado

Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”

10. Vanessa-Mae faces retroactive Olympic ban

Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST

Vanessa Mae Getty Images

Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.

11. Rio Olympics to have some morning track and field finals

Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST

Shalane Flanagan Getty Images

Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.

12. IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms

Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.

13. Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back

Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.

14. Ryan Lochte unsure who is world’s best swimmer

Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST

Ryan Lochte, Kosuke Hagino, Michael Phelps Getty Images

Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.

15. Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona

Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

Lamine Diack

U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

16. Jennifer Kessy, Emily Day form new beach volleyball partnership

Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST

Jennifer Kessy Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.

17. Bode Miller out until January due to back surgery

Nov 17, 2014, 1:42 PM EST

Bode Miller Getty Images

Miller hopes to return one week before the one storied race he has never won.

18. Peter Forsberg and the Olympics

Nov 17, 2014, 1:16 PM EST

Peter Forsberg Getty Images

Swede being inducted into Hall of Fame authored one of the iconic Olympic moments in 1994.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games