Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet

Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Michael Phelps said he hit 20,000 golf balls in six months and gained 30 pounds in retirement.

“There was something I missed,” Phelps said Wednesday. “I just missed being back in the water.”

Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time with 22 medals, will swim competitively for the first time since the 2012 Olympics on Thursday.

He’s bearded and at a comeback meet in Mesa, Ariz., where he is scheduled to swim the 100m butterfly on Thursday and the 50m freestyle on Friday.

What are his expectations?

“Race,” Phelps said. “That’s really all I can ask for right now. I haven’t raced since the 400 medley relay in London. So, just being able to get back in that sort of mentality of competition. That’s one thing that I really love the most about it. When I was really competing in 2012 and throughout my career.”

Phelps no longer sponsored by Speedo

Phelps, 28, has not committed to making a run to the 2016 Rio Olympics, which would be his fifth Games. He said he always has goals and there are things he wants to achieve, but as his custom, would not reveal specifics.

“I guess I’m at least going with my mom [to Rio de Janeiro],” Phelps said. “Whether I’m in the pool or in the stands, I guess time will tell.”

Phelps said he was antsy to get in the pool Wednesday, for post-travel warm-ups at the Skyline Aquatic Center, including what he believed was his first massage since winning six medals, including four golds, at the London Olympics.

Phelps said at least six times in a 14-minute press conference that he’s been having fun since returning to training last year.

His first goal when he jumped back in at North Baltimore Aquatic Club was to get back in shape after getting up to 225 pounds in the year after the Olympics. He previously raced at 187 and was at 194 last week, he said.

Video: Lochte inspired by Phelps’ comeback

“I’m doing this because I want to,” he said. “Nobody’s forcing me. … For me, going into 2012, it was hard. There were a lot ups and downs. It was very challenging, at times, to get motivated. I literally can’t say it enough. I’m having fun.”

His longtime coach, Bob Bowman, said Phelps is happier in training now than before.

“When he first came back he was so out of shape, it’s hard to believe,” said Bowman, sitting next to Phelps.

“Sugarcoat it at least,” Phelps pleaded.

“So it took a while [until January] to get to a point where, OK, he could do this in public,” Bowman said.

Phelps said he at first held off on officially ending his retirement last year. Athletes have to re-enter a drug-testing pool and wait for a period before being able to compete again.

How to watch Michael Phelps’ return in Mesa

“I kind of put one foot in,” Phelps said. “Wasn’t really ready.”

What are the worst parts of the comeback? Two things. One, the pain of training at elevation in Colorado Springs. Two, his experience level compared to other North Baltimore swimmers.

“I really am the grandfather now of the group,” Phelps said. “That’s the worst part about it. I’m the old man.”

Phelps spent plenty of time playing golf in retirement. He’ll be leaving his clubs in the bag more often, for now.

“Golf is something that I will be able to do for the rest of my life,” Phelps said. “There still is a lot of work that needs to be done in that sport for me to be able to get to where I want to go, even after hitting 20,000 golf balls in six months. That will always still be there.”

Phelps’ comeback has been compared to that of Australian legend Ian Thorpe, who came out of a four-year retirement in 2011 and failed to make the 2012 Olympic Team. Thorpe, like Phelps, was 28 when he came back, but he had barely competed since the 2004 Olympics. This is a vastly different scenario.

“If I don’t become as successful as you all think I would be or should be, and you think it tarnishes my career, then that’s your own opinion,” Phelps said. “I’m doing this because I want to come back. I enjoy being in the pool, and I enjoy being in the sport of swimming.

“I think Bob and I can do anything that we put our minds to, and that’s what we’ve done in the past. I am looking forward to wherever this road takes me. I guess the journey will start tomorrow.”

Another Michael set to make splash in Mesa

Latest Posts
  1. Rio 2016 Olympics day-by-day events to watch

Mar 31, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT

Rio 2016 Getty Images

The full competition schedule was released Tuesday.

2. Gabby Douglas’ family gets TV series

Mar 31, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Gabby Douglas Getty Images

“Douglas Family Gold” is the working title.

3. No Great Britain soccer teams for Rio Olympics

Mar 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Daniel Sturridge Getty Images

England FA couldn’t get backing from the three other federations.

4. A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks

Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman are attempting what six other Olympic medalists before them failed.

5. Justin Gatlin: I’m the guy to beat right now

Mar 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

AP AP

Gatlin may have gotten an up-close look at his biggest U.S. threat on Saturday.

6. Manu Ginobili won’t play in FIBA Americas, reports say

Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Argentina is in jeopardy of not qualifying for the Rio Olympics.

7. Gwen Jorgensen wins seventh straight World Triathlon Series event

Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It marked Jorgensen’s largest margin of victory in her World Triathlon Series career.

8. Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season

Mar 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT

Meryl Davis, Charlie White Getty Images

But they haven’t decided on the 2018 Olympics.

9. Watch World Figure Skating Championships — 8 p.m. ET

Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir and Tracy Wilson are on the call.

10. Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback

Mar 28, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

How they fared against World champion Simone Biles.

11. Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth

Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”

12. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals

Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Getty Images

Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.

13. U.S., Canada women’s hockey teams renew rivalry at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.

14. How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet

Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.

15. Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans

Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.

16. Madison Chock, Evan Bates take ice dance silver at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.

17. U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program

Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.

18. Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011

Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

AP AP

The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.

19. U.S. pairs outside top five after World Championships short program

Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT

AP AP

A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.

20. Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008

Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.