Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Michael Phelps is entered in three events at his first competition since the 2012 Olympics with his first swims Thursday at the Arena Grand Prix in Mesa, Ariz.
Phelps is slated for 100m freestyle and 100m butterfly heats on Thursday afternoon (ET), though he’s expected to swim only one of them in the night finals session, according to the Arizona Republic. The complete heat sheets are here.
UPDATE: Phelps scratched out of the 100m freestyle, he said Wednesday.
Phelps is also scheduled for the 50m freestyle on Friday but may swim the butterfly stroke, according to the report. If he swims butterfly, Phelps may not be fast enough to qualify for the finals Friday night.
Live streams of nightly finals sessions will be on USA Swimming’s website. Universal Sports will interrupt programming to show Phelps’ swims Thursday and have coverage on Friday and Saturday at 8 ET.
Here’s the unofficial daily schedule of potential Phelps events (all times Eastern):
Thursday prelims — 100m butterfly heats, 2:42-3:09 p.m.
Thursday finals — 100m butterfly, session begins at 8 p.m.
Friday prelims — 50m freestyle, 3:20-3:31 p.m.
Friday finals — 50m freestyle, session begins at 8 p.m.
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)