Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EST

BOSTON — Kenyan Rita Jeptoo won her second straight Boston Marathon and third overall in course-record time.

Jeptoo completed the 26.2-mile course in a 2 hours, 18 minutes, 57 seconds. She shattered the course record of 2:20.43. Second place Buzunesh Deba of Ethiopia also beat the previous course record, clocking 2:19:59.

“I was not expecting to run fast like that,” Jeptoo said. “Starting this race, my body did not respond well.”

Jeptoo took over after Massachusetts native Shalane Flanagan led early in a bid to become the first U.S. woman to win the race since 1985. Flanagan finished seventh, unofficially in a personal best of 2:22:01 and the fastest time ever by a U.S. woman at the Boston Marathon.

“I love Boston so much,” said an emotional Flanagan in a TV interview. “I really wanted to do it for my city.”

Meb Keflezighi stuns to end U.S. drought

Flanagan was spurred on by what was expected to be a record crowd along the course, one year after she finished fourth in her Boston Marathon debut.

“My ears were screaming,” said an emotional Flanagan in a TV interview. “I couldn’t even hear myself think. It was insane. It’s the most enjoyable race I’ve run in my life. I tried to treasure every step of it because these opportunities only come once in a lifetime.

“I’ve never seen Boston so special.”

Jeptoo, 33, became the first woman since 2005 to repeat as Boston Marathon champion. She grabbed the lead alone after 20 miles and buried the field with a blistering last few miles, much like she did last year. Jeptoo won $150,000 for the victory and another $25,000 for the course record.

Jeptoo went seven years between major marathon victories from 2006 to 2013 but claimed not only Boston but also Chicago (in a personal best time) last year. She was the fastest women’s marathoner in 2013.

Flanagan, the 2008 Olympic 10,000m bronze medalist, will run in Boston again.

“I’ll be back to run here until I win it,” she said.

Tatyana McFadden continues wheelchair domination with tribute to boy killed last year

Latest Posts
  1. Bradley Wiggins on Lance Armstrong, bluffing in Tour de France

Dec 18, 2014, 4:39 PM EST

Bradley Wiggins, Lance Armstrong Getty Images

“He was incredible at that, almost befriending you, and then he’d slip the knife in your back.”

2. Stephen Colbert and the Olympics

Dec 18, 2014, 3:33 PM EST

Stephen Colbert Getty Images

Colbert had a memorable time at the 2010 Olympic speed skating oval and in an interview with Bob Costas in Vancouver.

3. Adelina Sotnikova to miss Russia Figure Skating Championships

Dec 18, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

Adelina Sotnikova Getty Images

Olympic champion tore an ankle ligament in November.

4. Lindsey Vonn: I don’t know if I’ll ski slalom again

Dec 18, 2014, 11:14 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn entered five races in Vancouver 2010. She may never do that again at a global championship.

5. Jon Drummond banned 8 years after assisting Tyson Gay’s doping

Dec 17, 2014, 5:38 PM EST

Jon Drummond Getty Images

Decision details Gay’s acquisition and use of performance-enhancing drugs.

6. Fukushima wants to host 2020 Olympic events

Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST

AP AP

Fukushima’s previous governor pitched the area to be part of Tokyo 2020, too.

7. Brazil names its Olympic sports athletes of the year

Dec 17, 2014, 3:29 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

A look at host nation medal contenders for Rio 2016.

8. Wilson Kipsang angry that missed drug test made public

Dec 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EST

AP AP

“It is breach of privacy with malicious target to soil my name.”

9. Spotlight on Ayumu Hirano until I-Pod, White return

Dec 17, 2014, 1:51 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Japanese teen says he wasn’t satisfied winning silver in Sochi.

10. South Korea eyes top four in 2018 Olympic medal standings

Dec 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

History shows that’s quite an ambitious goal.

11. U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet

Dec 16, 2014, 7:12 PM EST

Team USA Getty Images

USOC could wait until February to announce its city.

12. Mad Dash: Drug-resistant super bacteria found in Rio bay (video)

Dec 16, 2014, 11:36 AM EST

AP AP

Bacteria found next to the starting point for Rio Olympic sailing events.

13. Se Ri Pak wants to coach, not play in 2016 Olympics

Dec 16, 2014, 9:57 AM EST

AP AP

South Korea’s most decorated LPGA Tour player would have a tough time qualifying for Rio 2016.

14. Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might

Dec 15, 2014, 1:51 PM EST

AP AP

Two retired running backs could join a long list of NFL Olympians.

15. Sochi champions passed over for Athlete of the Year awards

Dec 15, 2014, 1:38 PM EST

AP AP

Roger Federer won the Swiss men’s award, in a year he didn’t win a Grand Slam, over a Slam winner and a two-time Sochi gold medalist.

16. Katie Ledecky to be one of D.C. 2024 Olympic bid presenters

Dec 15, 2014, 11:49 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

The USOC is expected to announce if it will bid for the 2024 Olympics on Tuesday, and possibly name the city.

17. Rio Olympic track and field schedule released

Dec 15, 2014, 11:06 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Thirteen finals will be in morning sessions.

18. Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots’ names unveiled

Dec 14, 2014, 8:39 PM EST

Rio 2016 mascots Courtesy Rio 2016

The meaning behind “Vinicius” and “Tom.”

19. Gus Kenworthy, Chas Guldemond wrap up Dew Tour with victories (video)

Dec 14, 2014, 5:35 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Kenworthy got the best of his Sochi Olympic podium teammates.