Oscar Pistorius’ version of events ‘impossible,’ prosecutor says

Apr 10, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Oscar Pistorius is lying about the events that led to his shooting of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp last year, said the chief prosecutor repeatedly attacking his credibility at his murder trial Thursday.

“Your version is so improbable that nobody would ever think it’s reasonably possibly true,” Gerrie Nel said. “It’s impossible.”

Pistorius declined an opportunity to respond to that statement from Nel.

Instead, Pistorius said items in his bedroom must have been moved by crime-scene workers to comply with the sequence of events shortly before he fatally shot Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day 2013.

Pistorius, being cross-examined for the second day at his murder trial in South Africa on Thursday, said a fan, quilt and curtains shown in a police photograph were moved.

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder locked in his bathroom when he shot four times through a locked door, hitting and killing her inside. Nel claims Pistorius and Steenkamp had an argument and she “ran away screaming” before he killed her.

Pistorius faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. If not found guilty of premeditated murder, he could be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.

On Thursday, Pistorius was questioned about his recollection of the night of Steenkamp’s death. He said he was lying on her stomach and fell asleep, then woke up in the middle of the night feeling hot.

“I sat up in bed,” Pistorius said. “I put my head down, my hands on my head and rubbed my face. Reeva asked me if I couldn’t sleep. I said I can’t.”

He said he then got out of bed without his prosthetic legs on, brought two fans inside from his balcony, closed and locked doors to the balcony and closed curtains. Pistorius has said he then heard a noise in his bathroom that led to the shooting.

Pistorius said Thursday he didn’t see or hear Steenkamp get out of bed and enter the bathroom. He didn’t know how or when she get out of bed.

“It was pitch black and it was behind me,” Pistorius said. “I had the fans blowing in my face.”

Pistorius said he didn’t know how many shots he fired — four — until somebody told him afterward.

“If Reeva had come out or spoken to me, I wouldn’t have fired,” he said.

Nel also questioned Pistorius about text messages with Steenkamp, including one that referred to a song by rapper Kendrick Lamar. Nel said Steenkamp objected to Pistorius playing a Lamar song on a car stereo.

A text message from Steenkamp stated, “You make me happy 90% of the time and I think we are amazing together but I am not some other bitch you may know trying to kill your vibe.”

“I don’t know Kendrick Lamar,” Nel said. “But what song are we talking about. … Is it, ‘Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe?’ Isn’t that the song?”

Pistorius didn’t know which song it was but was sure Steenkamp would have taken offense to a song with those lyrics. Nel painted a picture of Pistorius as a sometimes mean, egotistical boyfriend.

“Your life is just about you — what’s good for Oscar,” Nel said. “It was all about Mr. Pistorius. That was what your relationship was about.”

Pistorius said he never got the chance to tell Steenkamp he loved her and detailed how his life changed after the shooting.

“For weeks afterwards I slept,” he said. “I didn’t see anyone. I stayed in my room. I didn’t converse with anyone. I didn’t socialize. … I didn’t have much communication. I actually didn’t even have my phone. The state had my phones. So I didn’t have numbers, and I didn’t converse with many people.”

Here’s NBC News’ full coverage of the trial.

The trial is scheduled to resume at 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday with more cross-examining from Nel.

Video: Toronto mayor Rob Ford adds Ben Johnson to campaign team

Latest Posts
  1. Carlin Isles talks about emotional start to rugby career (video)

Sep 4, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

Carlin Isles Getty Images

The U.S. will play Australia live on NBCSN and Live Extra on Saturday.

2. U.S. Olympic men’s soccer coach talks over-age players

Sep 4, 2015, 3:53 PM EDT

Andi Herzog Getty Images

If the U.S. qualifies for Rio, it can name three men to the roster over age 23.

3. Hayward Field may soon be upgraded (rendering photo)

Sep 4, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT

Hayward Field

The upgrade would happen after the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials.

4. Olympian attaches GoPro to javelin (video)

Sep 4, 2015, 1:24 PM EDT

GoPro Javelin

First, a pole vaulter. Now, a javelin thrower.

5. IOC pledges $2 million fund to help refugees

Sep 4, 2015, 1:06 PM EDT

Olympic flag

The IOC called it an “emergency” fund.

6. Aries Merritt home after successful kidney transplant (photos)

Sep 4, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT

Aries Merritt AP

Merritt left the hospital less than a week after winning a bronze medal in Beijing.

7. Andre De Grasse stays in school

Sep 3, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT

Andre De Grasse AP

Canadian sprint sensation plans to compete collegiately in 2015-16.

8. Mixed results for World champions in Zurich

Sep 3, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce AP

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, David Rudisha and Wayde van Niekerk were among the Beijing stars in Diamond League action.

9. Check out the Rio Olympic mountain bike course (video)

Sep 3, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT

Rio Olympic mountain bike course

The course designer attached a camera to his helmet and traversed the dirt, rocks, going over a bridge and through a tunnel.

10. U.S. shooters begin earning Olympic berths

Sep 3, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT

Michael McPhail Getty Images

The 2016 U.S. Olympic team is now at eight athletes across all sports.

11. Jeremy Abbott to sit out figure skating season

Sep 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

Jeremy Abbott AP

The four-time U.S. champion isn’t retiring yet.

12. Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics

Sep 2, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Some of the names most associated with Los Angeles professional sports teams are Olympians.

13. Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League

Sep 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Tori Bowie Getty Images

One event includes 2015 World champions from three different events.

14. Mesut Özil open to Rio Olympics, but German coach dismisses

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Mesut Ozil Getty Images

“I can hardly imagine that it is possible given the schedule.”

15. Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official

Sep 1, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles 2024 logo

Budapest, Hamburg, Paris and Rome previously announced bids.

16. Kerri Walsh Jennings done for season after this week

Sep 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings and April Ross will have little to no wiggle room in Olympic qualifying next year.

17. Can Venus Williams qualify for a fifth Olympics?

Sep 1, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT

Venus Williams AP

She could become the second oldest Olympic singles player since the sport returned to the Games in 1988.

18. Tokyo 2020 Olympic logo scrapped after plagiarism allegations

Sep 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT

Tokyo 2020 Olympic logo AP

A competition will be held to pick a new logo.

19. Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships

Aug 31, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Mo Farah AP

Olympic champions came through and potential future Olympic stars broke out.