Oscar Pistorius’ version of events ‘impossible,’ prosecutor says

Apr 10, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Oscar Pistorius is lying about the events that led to his shooting of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp last year, said the chief prosecutor repeatedly attacking his credibility at his murder trial Thursday.

“Your version is so improbable that nobody would ever think it’s reasonably possibly true,” Gerrie Nel said. “It’s impossible.”

Pistorius declined an opportunity to respond to that statement from Nel.

Instead, Pistorius said items in his bedroom must have been moved by crime-scene workers to comply with the sequence of events shortly before he fatally shot Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day 2013.

Pistorius, being cross-examined for the second day at his murder trial in South Africa on Thursday, said a fan, quilt and curtains shown in a police photograph were moved.

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder locked in his bathroom when he shot four times through a locked door, hitting and killing her inside. Nel claims Pistorius and Steenkamp had an argument and she “ran away screaming” before he killed her.

Pistorius faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. If not found guilty of premeditated murder, he could be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.

On Thursday, Pistorius was questioned about his recollection of the night of Steenkamp’s death. He said he was lying on her stomach and fell asleep, then woke up in the middle of the night feeling hot.

“I sat up in bed,” Pistorius said. “I put my head down, my hands on my head and rubbed my face. Reeva asked me if I couldn’t sleep. I said I can’t.”

He said he then got out of bed without his prosthetic legs on, brought two fans inside from his balcony, closed and locked doors to the balcony and closed curtains. Pistorius has said he then heard a noise in his bathroom that led to the shooting.

Pistorius said Thursday he didn’t see or hear Steenkamp get out of bed and enter the bathroom. He didn’t know how or when she get out of bed.

“It was pitch black and it was behind me,” Pistorius said. “I had the fans blowing in my face.”

Pistorius said he didn’t know how many shots he fired — four — until somebody told him afterward.

“If Reeva had come out or spoken to me, I wouldn’t have fired,” he said.

Nel also questioned Pistorius about text messages with Steenkamp, including one that referred to a song by rapper Kendrick Lamar. Nel said Steenkamp objected to Pistorius playing a Lamar song on a car stereo.

A text message from Steenkamp stated, “You make me happy 90% of the time and I think we are amazing together but I am not some other bitch you may know trying to kill your vibe.”

“I don’t know Kendrick Lamar,” Nel said. “But what song are we talking about. … Is it, ‘Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe?’ Isn’t that the song?”

Pistorius didn’t know which song it was but was sure Steenkamp would have taken offense to a song with those lyrics. Nel painted a picture of Pistorius as a sometimes mean, egotistical boyfriend.

“Your life is just about you — what’s good for Oscar,” Nel said. “It was all about Mr. Pistorius. That was what your relationship was about.”

Pistorius said he never got the chance to tell Steenkamp he loved her and detailed how his life changed after the shooting.

“For weeks afterwards I slept,” he said. “I didn’t see anyone. I stayed in my room. I didn’t converse with anyone. I didn’t socialize. … I didn’t have much communication. I actually didn’t even have my phone. The state had my phones. So I didn’t have numbers, and I didn’t converse with many people.”

Here’s NBC News’ full coverage of the trial.

The trial is scheduled to resume at 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday with more cross-examining from Nel.

Video: Toronto mayor Rob Ford adds Ben Johnson to campaign team

Latest Posts
  1. A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks

Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman are attempting what six other Olympic medalists before them failed.

2. Justin Gatlin: I’m the guy to beat right now

Mar 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

AP AP

Gatlin may have gotten an up-close look at his biggest U.S. threat on Saturday.

3. Manu Ginobili won’t play in FIBA Americas, reports say

Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Argentina is in jeopardy of not qualifying for the Rio Olympics.

4. Gwen Jorgensen wins seventh straight World Triathlon Series event

Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It marked Jorgensen’s largest margin of victory in her World Triathlon Series career.

5. Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season

Mar 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT

Meryl Davis, Charlie White Getty Images

But they haven’t decided on the 2018 Olympics.

6. Watch World Figure Skating Championships — 8 p.m. ET

Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir and Tracy Wilson are on the call.

7. Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback

Mar 28, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

How they fared against World champion Simone Biles.

8. Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth

Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”

9. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals

Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Getty Images

Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.

10. U.S., Canada women’s hockey teams renew rivalry at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.

11. How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet

Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.

12. Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans

Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.

13. Madison Chock, Evan Bates take ice dance silver at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.

14. U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program

Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.

15. Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011

Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

AP AP

The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.

16. U.S. pairs outside top five after World Championships short program

Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT

AP AP

A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.

17. Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008

Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.

18. Madison Chock, Evan Bates top World Championships short dance with personal best

Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.

19. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events

Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

AP AP

The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.

20. Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid

Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.