Oscar Pistorius’ version of events ‘impossible,’ prosecutor says

Apr 10, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Oscar Pistorius is lying about the events that led to his shooting of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp last year, said the chief prosecutor repeatedly attacking his credibility at his murder trial Thursday.

“Your version is so improbable that nobody would ever think it’s reasonably possibly true,” Gerrie Nel said. “It’s impossible.”

Pistorius declined an opportunity to respond to that statement from Nel.

Instead, Pistorius said items in his bedroom must have been moved by crime-scene workers to comply with the sequence of events shortly before he fatally shot Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day 2013.

Pistorius, being cross-examined for the second day at his murder trial in South Africa on Thursday, said a fan, quilt and curtains shown in a police photograph were moved.

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder locked in his bathroom when he shot four times through a locked door, hitting and killing her inside. Nel claims Pistorius and Steenkamp had an argument and she “ran away screaming” before he killed her.

Pistorius faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. If not found guilty of premeditated murder, he could be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.

On Thursday, Pistorius was questioned about his recollection of the night of Steenkamp’s death. He said he was lying on her stomach and fell asleep, then woke up in the middle of the night feeling hot.

“I sat up in bed,” Pistorius said. “I put my head down, my hands on my head and rubbed my face. Reeva asked me if I couldn’t sleep. I said I can’t.”

He said he then got out of bed without his prosthetic legs on, brought two fans inside from his balcony, closed and locked doors to the balcony and closed curtains. Pistorius has said he then heard a noise in his bathroom that led to the shooting.

Pistorius said Thursday he didn’t see or hear Steenkamp get out of bed and enter the bathroom. He didn’t know how or when she get out of bed.

“It was pitch black and it was behind me,” Pistorius said. “I had the fans blowing in my face.”

Pistorius said he didn’t know how many shots he fired — four — until somebody told him afterward.

“If Reeva had come out or spoken to me, I wouldn’t have fired,” he said.

Nel also questioned Pistorius about text messages with Steenkamp, including one that referred to a song by rapper Kendrick Lamar. Nel said Steenkamp objected to Pistorius playing a Lamar song on a car stereo.

A text message from Steenkamp stated, “You make me happy 90% of the time and I think we are amazing together but I am not some other bitch you may know trying to kill your vibe.”

“I don’t know Kendrick Lamar,” Nel said. “But what song are we talking about. … Is it, ‘Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe?’ Isn’t that the song?”

Pistorius didn’t know which song it was but was sure Steenkamp would have taken offense to a song with those lyrics. Nel painted a picture of Pistorius as a sometimes mean, egotistical boyfriend.

“Your life is just about you — what’s good for Oscar,” Nel said. “It was all about Mr. Pistorius. That was what your relationship was about.”

Pistorius said he never got the chance to tell Steenkamp he loved her and detailed how his life changed after the shooting.

“For weeks afterwards I slept,” he said. “I didn’t see anyone. I stayed in my room. I didn’t converse with anyone. I didn’t socialize. … I didn’t have much communication. I actually didn’t even have my phone. The state had my phones. So I didn’t have numbers, and I didn’t converse with many people.”

Here’s NBC News’ full coverage of the trial.

The trial is scheduled to resume at 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday with more cross-examining from Nel.

Video: Toronto mayor Rob Ford adds Ben Johnson to campaign team

Latest Posts
  1. James Magnussen out of World Swimming Championships

May 23, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT

James Magnussen Getty Images

Nathan Adrian’s biggest rival in the 100m freestyle could still be an Australian.

2. Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back

May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT

Rulon Gardner Getty Images

The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.

3. Rome mayor wants 2024 Olympic medal ceremonies in Colosseum

May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT

Rome Colosseum Getty Images

“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”

4. Olympians recall David Letterman appearances

May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT

David Letterman, Tara Lipinski

Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.

5. Russian Olympic boss sets Rio 2016 medal standings target

May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT

Russia Getty Images

Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.

6. First set of Olympic rings unveiled in Rio de Janeiro

May 20, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT

Rio Olympic rings Getty Images

They were a gift from a previous Olympic host city.

7. Missy Franklin, more Olympians lead most marketable athletes list

May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT

Missy Franklin Getty Images

Usain Bolt dropped on the list and is no longer the top track and field athlete.

8. German amputee keeps rivaling top long jumpers, eyes Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT

Markus Rehm Getty Images

Markus Rehm jumped another personal best on Saturday, moving up the list of top active jumpers.

9. David Letterman and the Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT

David Letterman Getty Images

Letterman had a special correspondent at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics.

10. Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy

May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympic silver medalist has been off the elite competition radar for nearly two years.

11. Gwen Jorgensen’s triathlon bike helmet includes Paul Bunyan, Bucky Badger

May 20, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen

The World champion explained the origin of her design.

12. Justin Gatlin: ‘All is fine’ with Beijing meet organizers

May 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s agent also called the sprinter “misunderstood.”

13. Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction

May 20, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT

AP AP

A stopwatch used to time Bannister’s feat was also recently auctioned.

14. Emily Seebohm, top rival to Missy Franklin, dislocates knee

May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT

Emily Seebohm Getty Images

Seebohm took silver behind Franklin in 2012 and 2013 but was faster last year.

15. Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet

May 19, 2015, 7:47 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

“They didn’t have any respect for me.”

16. Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet

May 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

AP AP

The 22-time Olympic medalist finished first or second in zero events at a meet for the first time since the Sydney 2000 Olympics.

17. USA Diving finalizes World Championships roster

May 18, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

David Boudia leads the team, while a four-time Olympian just missed.

18. Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating

May 18, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT

Mao Asada Getty Images

The three-time World champion is training again but isn’t definite on competing.