Oscar Pistorius’ version of events ‘impossible,’ prosecutor says

Apr 10, 2014, 10:53 AM EST

Oscar Pistorius AP

Oscar Pistorius is lying about the events that led to his shooting of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp last year, said the chief prosecutor repeatedly attacking his credibility at his murder trial Thursday.

“Your version is so improbable that nobody would ever think it’s reasonably possibly true,” Gerrie Nel said. “It’s impossible.”

Pistorius declined an opportunity to respond to that statement from Nel.

Instead, Pistorius said items in his bedroom must have been moved by crime-scene workers to comply with the sequence of events shortly before he fatally shot Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day 2013.

Pistorius, being cross-examined for the second day at his murder trial in South Africa on Thursday, said a fan, quilt and curtains shown in a police photograph were moved.

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder locked in his bathroom when he shot four times through a locked door, hitting and killing her inside. Nel claims Pistorius and Steenkamp had an argument and she “ran away screaming” before he killed her.

Pistorius faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. If not found guilty of premeditated murder, he could be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.

On Thursday, Pistorius was questioned about his recollection of the night of Steenkamp’s death. He said he was lying on her stomach and fell asleep, then woke up in the middle of the night feeling hot.

“I sat up in bed,” Pistorius said. “I put my head down, my hands on my head and rubbed my face. Reeva asked me if I couldn’t sleep. I said I can’t.”

He said he then got out of bed without his prosthetic legs on, brought two fans inside from his balcony, closed and locked doors to the balcony and closed curtains. Pistorius has said he then heard a noise in his bathroom that led to the shooting.

Pistorius said Thursday he didn’t see or hear Steenkamp get out of bed and enter the bathroom. He didn’t know how or when she get out of bed.

“It was pitch black and it was behind me,” Pistorius said. “I had the fans blowing in my face.”

Pistorius said he didn’t know how many shots he fired — four — until somebody told him afterward.

“If Reeva had come out or spoken to me, I wouldn’t have fired,” he said.

Nel also questioned Pistorius about text messages with Steenkamp, including one that referred to a song by rapper Kendrick Lamar. Nel said Steenkamp objected to Pistorius playing a Lamar song on a car stereo.

A text message from Steenkamp stated, “You make me happy 90% of the time and I think we are amazing together but I am not some other bitch you may know trying to kill your vibe.”

“I don’t know Kendrick Lamar,” Nel said. “But what song are we talking about. … Is it, ‘Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe?’ Isn’t that the song?”

Pistorius didn’t know which song it was but was sure Steenkamp would have taken offense to a song with those lyrics. Nel painted a picture of Pistorius as a sometimes mean, egotistical boyfriend.

“Your life is just about you — what’s good for Oscar,” Nel said. “It was all about Mr. Pistorius. That was what your relationship was about.”

Pistorius said he never got the chance to tell Steenkamp he loved her and detailed how his life changed after the shooting.

“For weeks afterwards I slept,” he said. “I didn’t see anyone. I stayed in my room. I didn’t converse with anyone. I didn’t socialize. … I didn’t have much communication. I actually didn’t even have my phone. The state had my phones. So I didn’t have numbers, and I didn’t converse with many people.”

Here’s NBC News’ full coverage of the trial.

The trial is scheduled to resume at 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday with more cross-examining from Nel.

Video: Toronto mayor Rob Ford adds Ben Johnson to campaign team

Latest Posts
  1. Watch Rio Olympic Park transformation, timelapse videos

Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.

2. Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali’s team may lose license

Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

AP AP

Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.

3. World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap

Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen Eaton AP

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.

4. IOC executive board proposes rule change for athletes, sponsors during Olympics

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”

5. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

6. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

7. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”

8. Duel in the Pool returns to U.S.

Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Duel in the Pool Getty Images

The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.

9. Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST

Pan American Games cauldron Getty Images

The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.

10. Former WNBA No. 1 draft pick switches from U.S. to Belarus

Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

Lindsey Harding Getty Images

The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.

11. U.S. cross-country skiers share historic podium at World Championships (video)

Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Jessie Diggins, Caitlin Gregg Getty Images

Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.

12. Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion

Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

AP AP

Inside the locker room with the players and more.

13. Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’

Feb 24, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

Nastia Liukin Getty Images

Liukin is the third U.S. Olympic champion gymnast to go on the show.

14. Mikaela Shiffrin wins Maribor slalom, snags World Cup lead in teenage finale (video)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:51 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Shiffrin won her 13th World Cup race as a teen, bettered by only one woman in history.

15. Kyla Ross commits to UCLA

Feb 22, 2015, 8:19 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Ross joins a long line of Olympic women’s gymnasts to choose UCLA.

16. Michael Phelps gets engaged (photos)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:06 AM EST

Michael Phelps

Phelps is expected to return to competition following his suspension in April.

17. ‘Relive the Miracle’ reunion emotional for 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team

Feb 21, 2015, 11:45 PM EST

AP AP

All living members joked and reminisced in the “Relive the Miracle” ceremony at Herb Brooks Arena.

18. Mike Eruzione, Miracle teammates remember Bob Suter, recall 1980 memories

Feb 21, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

AP AP

Look for more on the Miracle on Ice reunion on NBC’s Hockey Day in American coverage on Sunday at noon ET.

19. Lindsey Vonn falls in Maribor giant slalom (video)

Feb 21, 2015, 8:14 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Vonn “looked in pain and limped,” according to The Associated Press.