Oscar Pistorius faces harsh cross-examination at murder trial

Apr 9, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Oscar Pistorius was told to look at a graphic photo of dead girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp‘s head and to “take responsibility for what you’ve done” by a prosecutor at his murder trial Wednesday.

A crime scene photo of one side of Steenkamp’s head, bloodied from a bullet wound, was displayed on screens around the room, and shown on video streams on the first day of his cross-examination.

It came after prosecutor Gerrie Nel showed a clip of this video news report of Pistorius at a gun shooting range, firing at a watermelon that exploded on impact.

“You know that the same happened to Reeva’s head,” Nel said just before the photo of Steenkamp came on the screens. “It exploded. Have a look. I’m going to show you, Mr. Pistorius, it had the exact same effect, the bullet that went into her head.”

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder locked in his bathroom when he shot four times through a locked door, hitting and killing her inside on Valentine’s Day 2013. The prosecution claims Pistorius killed Steenkamp after an argument.

He faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. If not found guilty of premeditated murder, he could be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.

Graphic photos of Steenkamp had been shown during the trial on previous days, accidentally while scanning through slideshows and only for brief seconds. The photo was up for about one minute Wednesday.

“Have a look there,” Nel said to Pistorius. “I know you don’t want to because you don’t want to take responsibility, but it’s time that you look at it. Take responsibility for what you’ve done, Mr. Pistorius.”

Pistorius, who had thrown up during graphic autopsy testimony March 10, had a green bucket nearby in the witness box Wednesday. Pistorius tried not to look at the photo next to his face, according to court reports. He responded emotionally.

“I’ve taken responsibility … waiting for my time on this stand to tell my story for the respect of Reeva and for myself,” Pistorius said, his voice trembling. “I’ve taken responsibility. But I will not look at a picture where I’m tormented by what I saw and felt that night. As I picked Reeva up, my fingers touched her head. I remember. I don’t have to look at a picture. I was there.”

Pistorius sobbed and buried his head in his hands, causing Nel to ask for an adjournment.

Earlier, Nel aggressively began his cross-examination by telling Pistorius, “Say yes, I shot and killed Reeva Steenkamp.”

“I did,” Pistorius said, repeating that he “made a mistake” and adding, “I’m human. I make many faults. I have sins.”

Later, Nel questioned Pistorius about crime scene details and accused him of lying in his version of events and having rehearsed answers.

“My memory isn’t very good at the moment,” Pistorius said. “I’m under a lot of pressure sitting here. It’s not easy. I’m defending for my life.”

Pistorius repeatedly said that the shooting was an accident.

“Before thinking, out of fear, I fired four shots,” he said. “When I realized the scale of what was happening, I stopped firing, and I stood there, and I was in shock.

“I didn’t intend to shoot anyone. I fired my firearm before I could think, before I even had a moment to comprehend what was happening. I believed someone was coming out the toilet.”

Here’s NBC News’ full coverage of the trial.

The trial is scheduled to resume at 3:30 a.m. ET on Thursday with more cross-examining from Nel

“I’m not going to go away,” Nel told Pistorius shortly before the end of Wednesday’s proceedings.

Video: Toronto mayor Rob Ford adds Ben Johnson to campaign team

Latest Posts
  1. Evan Lysacek: ‘My career is coming to an end’

Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Evan Lysacek Getty Images

Olympic champ figure skater yet to make official decision, but shows which way he is leaning.

2. Usain Bolt takes on all questions in India

Sep 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

Usain Bolt AP

Would he rather race fast cars or cheetahs?

3. Marlies Schild retires; impact on Mikaela Shiffrin

Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT

Marlies Schild, Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Schild won silver behind Shiffrin in Sochi and is one of her idols.

4. Carl Lewis becomes full-time University of Houston track coach

Sep 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Carl Lewis AP

Lewis joins staff with two other Olympic sprint medalists.

5. Berlin, Hamburg submit Olympic bid intentions

Sep 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Germany is the latest rival to a potential U.S. Olympic bid in 2024.

6. African wrestlers out of World Championships due to Ebola travel restrictions

Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Wrestling Getty Images

Seven from Nigeria, two from Sierra Leone out due to Uzbekistan’s restrictions.

7. Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui

Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Haley Anderson Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist swam three days after suffering allergic reaction to jellyfish sting.

8. Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon

Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Rich Cruse/USA Triathlon

American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.

9. Henry Cejudo withdraws on eve of UFC fight debut

Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT

Henry Cejudo Getty Images

Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.

10. How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics

Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

James Harden Getty Images

Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.

11. Kayla Harrison wins bronze at World Judo Championships

Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

Kayla Harrison Getty Images

Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.

12. Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton

Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen Getty Images

An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.

13. Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video)

Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

Tyson Gay

Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.

14. Man with cerebral palsy towed through Ironman by twin brother

Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

tvilling

Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.

15. Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos)

Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Closing Ceremony

Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.

16. Rio Olympics volunteer registration opens

Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT

Rio 2016 Olympics Getty Images

Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.

17. Yao Ming reflects on Beijing 2008 at Youth Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Yao Ming, Lewis Johnson

Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.

18. Thomas Bach hopes mixed-gender events in Nanjing impact Olympics (video)

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Thomas Bach Getty Images

IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.

19. U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Sabrina Massialas Getty Images

How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?

20. Zurich Diamond League final preview

Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

David Rudisha Getty Images

Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.