Apr 9, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Kent State senior Annie Rogers‘ first trip to New York was a memorable one, beginning with a Cadillac Escalade pickup from the airport and including two days with Olympic bronze medalist Nick Goepper.
Rogers, “just a normal Ohio girl,” won a social media contest for a date with the slopestyle skier Goepper last month. They met Saturday in New York and spent much of the weekend in Midtown.
On Saturday, they went to the Broadway show “After Midnight,” featuring Vanessa Williams, with dinner to follow at Empire Steak House, which boasts a signature dry-aged Porterhouse for two. They also went to a New York Rangers game and sat a few rows behind the visiting Ottawa Senators bench.
On Sunday, they visited Central Park, ate lunch at the Italian restaurant Buca di Beppo, went to a Mets game and ate at another Midtown restaurant.
Rogers said she and Goepper, an Indiana native who trains in Colorado, will stay in touch and hope to meet up again this summer.
“I hope people know Nick is such a great guy,” Rogers said. “He’s exactly as he comes off in interviews — laid back, friendly. I can’t think Nick enough. I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my first time in the city.”
May 6, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Canadians must return for 2016-17 if they are to come back at all, according to report.
May 6, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT
Russia is focused on another major sporting event.
May 6, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings also wants to have another child, after the Rio Games.
May 6, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT
NBC Sports and NBCOlympics.com combined for seven Sports Emmys for Sochi presentation.
May 6, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
Watch the resourceful video from the 2008 gold medalist.
May 5, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
Miller also said the Magnificent Seven is planning its 20-year anniversary.
May 5, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
Three-time World champion explained why he’s returning to competition.
May 5, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
Woods also compared Olympic golf to Olympic tennis.
May 5, 2015, 8:39 AM EDT
“This is just the beginning.”
May 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Liukin could be very busy during Indy 500 week with another competition.
May 4, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
The U.S. only has one Olympian on its roster.
May 4, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
“The guy who was getting ready to dive on the top board was laughing at me.”
May 3, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Bolt was seen at the stadium but sat out as an injury precaution.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first World title for the Americans on home ice.
May 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
They had been together for nearly three years.
May 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Both teams crushed their first four opponents to reach this final rematch.
May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s a rematch of the 2013 World Championship final.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.
May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.
- Patrick Chan’s return about more than elusive Olympic gold medal 1
- Tiger Woods: Olympics ‘very important’ as he attempts climb to Rio 2016 3
- Warren Weir calls Ryan Bailey ‘a little nobody’ after Usain Bolt taunt 5
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 8
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 3
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)