Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Apr 8, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Jeremy Abbott Getty Images

NEW YORK — Jeremy Abbott isn’t ready to retire just yet.

The four-time U.S. champion is reconsidering a plan to walk away from competitive figure skating after the recently finished season. He cited his performance at the World Championships two weeks ago, where he finished fifth, as a motivator.

“Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”

Abbott, 28, matched his best career World Championships finish in Saitama, Japan, in his fifth World Championships appearance. He was coming off a second straight disappointing Olympic showing, taking 12th in Sochi after placing ninth in Vancouver in 2010. Abbott did win a bronze medal in the Olympic team event.

“I learned so much about myself this season, as a skater, as a competitor, more than I have in my entire career,” Abbott said in between autographing pictures and skates indoors, sheltered from plodding rain. “I really felt like I gained a lot of momentum. I kind of want to put that to use.”

Abbott was in eighth place after the short program at the World Championships but had the fourth best free skate, trailing only the gold, silver and bronze medalists.

“If that was my finale, what a way to go,” Abbott said. “If not, hopefully I have more to give.”

Abbott will continue skating no matter what. If it’s not in competitions, it will be in shows such as the ongoing Stars on Ice tour. He gained perspective on his career listening to his introduction at the first show last week.

“Olympic bronze medalist, four-time national champion” preceded his name.

“Have I really been at this that long?” he said.

Abbott has won more U.S. titles than Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir and the same number as Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano.

“I’ve always wanted to skate,” Abbott said. “If and when I decide to retire … I want to perform. I want to be on the ice. I want to continue contributing to the sport. I feel like I still have a lot to offer.”

Mirai Nagasu talks about missing Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Joss Christensen skis remains of Sarajevo 1984 Winter Olympics sites (video)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT

Joss Christensen

Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.

2. IOC provisionally recognizes Kosovo

Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.

3. 2015 Tour de France route unveiled; favorites weigh in

Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT

Tour de France

Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.

4. Russian Olympic bobsled champ Aleksander Zubkov retires

Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT

Alexander Zubkov Getty Images

Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.

5. Jeneba Tarmoh mulls representing Sierra Leone at Rio 2016 Olympics

Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Jeneba Tarmoh Getty Images

Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.

6. IOC to discuss recognizing Kosovo this week

Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.

7. Watch trailers for ‘Touch the Wall’ about Missy Franklin

Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Missy Franklin

Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.

8. Miracle on Ice fantasy camp set for Lake Placid

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Miracle on Ice camp

Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.

9. Daron Rahlves, four-time Olympian, in lightsuit skiing video

Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Daron Rahlves

Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.

10. Boxer attacks referee at European Youth Championships (video)

Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Boxing gloves Getty Images

Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.

11. Norway Olympic Committee president to step down

Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT

Borre Rognlien Getty Images

Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.

12. Oscar Pistorius barred from Rio Paralympics

Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.

13. Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison

Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.

14. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

15. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

16. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

17. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

18. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games