Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Apr 8, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Jeremy Abbott Getty Images

NEW YORK — Jeremy Abbott isn’t ready to retire just yet.

The four-time U.S. champion is reconsidering a plan to walk away from competitive figure skating after the recently finished season. He cited his performance at the World Championships two weeks ago, where he finished fifth, as a motivator.

“Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”

Abbott, 28, matched his best career World Championships finish in Saitama, Japan, in his fifth World Championships appearance. He was coming off a second straight disappointing Olympic showing, taking 12th in Sochi after placing ninth in Vancouver in 2010. Abbott did win a bronze medal in the Olympic team event.

“I learned so much about myself this season, as a skater, as a competitor, more than I have in my entire career,” Abbott said in between autographing pictures and skates indoors, sheltered from plodding rain. “I really felt like I gained a lot of momentum. I kind of want to put that to use.”

Abbott was in eighth place after the short program at the World Championships but had the fourth best free skate, trailing only the gold, silver and bronze medalists.

“If that was my finale, what a way to go,” Abbott said. “If not, hopefully I have more to give.”

Abbott will continue skating no matter what. If it’s not in competitions, it will be in shows such as the ongoing Stars on Ice tour. He gained perspective on his career listening to his introduction at the first show last week.

“Olympic bronze medalist, four-time national champion” preceded his name.

“Have I really been at this that long?” he said.

Abbott has won more U.S. titles than Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir and the same number as Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano.

“I’ve always wanted to skate,” Abbott said. “If and when I decide to retire … I want to perform. I want to be on the ice. I want to continue contributing to the sport. I feel like I still have a lot to offer.”

Mirai Nagasu talks about missing Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Jeremy Abbott to sit out figure skating season

Sep 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

Jeremy Abbott AP

The four-time U.S. champion isn’t retiring yet.

2. Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics

Sep 2, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Some of the names most associated with Los Angeles professional sports teams are Olympians.

3. Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League

Sep 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Tori Bowie Getty Images

One event includes 2015 World champions from three different events.

4. Mesut Özil open to Rio Olympics, but German coach dismisses

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Mesut Ozil Getty Images

“I can hardly imagine that it is possible given the schedule.”

5. Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official

Sep 1, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles 2024 logo

Budapest, Hamburg, Paris and Rome previously announced bids.

6. Kerri Walsh Jennings done for season after this week

Sep 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings and April Ross will have little to no wiggle room in Olympic qualifying next year.

7. Can Venus Williams qualify for a fifth Olympics?

Sep 1, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT

Venus Williams AP

She could become the second oldest Olympic singles player since the sport returned to the Games in 1988.

8. Tokyo 2020 Olympic logo scrapped after plagiarism allegations

Sep 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT

Tokyo 2020 Olympic logo AP

A competition will be held to pick a new logo.

9. Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships

Aug 31, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Mo Farah AP

Olympic champions came through and potential future Olympic stars broke out.

10. Ten best performances from World Track and Field Championships

Aug 31, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT

Wayde van Niekerk AP

One world record and many near marks on the track and in the field.

11. Ten memorable quotes from World Track and Field Championships

Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT

Usain Bolt AP

Kidney failure, a Segway and goat blood.

12. USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say

Aug 30, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT

Los Angeles Coliseum Getty Images

It can’t become official until later this week.

13. U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003

Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

U.S. 4x400m relay intro

“I’m going to cut the goat … and drink the blood.”

14. Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship

Aug 29, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT

Ashton Eaton AP

Eaton was competing in his first decathlon in more than two years and wore a cooling hood.

15. Kayla Harrison stunned at World Judo Championships

Aug 28, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT

Kayla Harrison AP

“That feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin.”

16. Anthony Davis would rather win second Olympic gold than first NBA MVP

Aug 28, 2015, 11:13 AM EDT

Anthony Davis Getty Images

Davis, the second youngest U.S. Olympic basketball player ever in 2012, played the fewest minutes for Team USA at the London Games.