Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Apr 8, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Jeremy Abbott Getty Images

NEW YORK — Jeremy Abbott isn’t ready to retire just yet.

The four-time U.S. champion is reconsidering a plan to walk away from competitive figure skating after the recently finished season. He cited his performance at the World Championships two weeks ago, where he finished fifth, as a motivator.

“Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”

Abbott, 28, matched his best career World Championships finish in Saitama, Japan, in his fifth World Championships appearance. He was coming off a second straight disappointing Olympic showing, taking 12th in Sochi after placing ninth in Vancouver in 2010. Abbott did win a bronze medal in the Olympic team event.

“I learned so much about myself this season, as a skater, as a competitor, more than I have in my entire career,” Abbott said in between autographing pictures and skates indoors, sheltered from plodding rain. “I really felt like I gained a lot of momentum. I kind of want to put that to use.”

Abbott was in eighth place after the short program at the World Championships but had the fourth best free skate, trailing only the gold, silver and bronze medalists.

“If that was my finale, what a way to go,” Abbott said. “If not, hopefully I have more to give.”

Abbott will continue skating no matter what. If it’s not in competitions, it will be in shows such as the ongoing Stars on Ice tour. He gained perspective on his career listening to his introduction at the first show last week.

“Olympic bronze medalist, four-time national champion” preceded his name.

“Have I really been at this that long?” he said.

Abbott has won more U.S. titles than Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir and the same number as Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano.

“I’ve always wanted to skate,” Abbott said. “If and when I decide to retire … I want to perform. I want to be on the ice. I want to continue contributing to the sport. I feel like I still have a lot to offer.”

Mirai Nagasu talks about missing Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz

May 26, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT

Missy Franklin Getty Images

She may change coaches after the World Championships.

2. James Magnussen out of World Swimming Championships

May 23, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT

James Magnussen Getty Images

Nathan Adrian’s biggest rival in the 100m freestyle could still be an Australian.

3. Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back

May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT

Rulon Gardner Getty Images

The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.

4. Rome mayor wants 2024 Olympic medal ceremonies in Colosseum

May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT

Rome Colosseum Getty Images

“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”

5. Olympians recall David Letterman appearances

May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT

David Letterman, Tara Lipinski

Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.

6. Russian Olympic boss sets Rio 2016 medal standings target

May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT

Russia Getty Images

Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.

7. First set of Olympic rings unveiled in Rio de Janeiro

May 20, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT

Rio Olympic rings Getty Images

They were a gift from a previous Olympic host city.

8. Missy Franklin, more Olympians lead most marketable athletes list

May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT

Missy Franklin Getty Images

Usain Bolt dropped on the list and is no longer the top track and field athlete.

9. German amputee keeps rivaling top long jumpers, eyes Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT

Markus Rehm Getty Images

Markus Rehm jumped another personal best on Saturday, moving up the list of top active jumpers.

10. David Letterman and the Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT

David Letterman Getty Images

Letterman had a special correspondent at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics.

11. Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy

May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympic silver medalist has been off the elite competition radar for nearly two years.

12. Gwen Jorgensen’s triathlon bike helmet includes Paul Bunyan, Bucky Badger

May 20, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen

The World champion explained the origin of her design.

13. Justin Gatlin: ‘All is fine’ with Beijing meet organizers

May 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s agent also called the sprinter “misunderstood.”

14. Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction

May 20, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT

AP AP

A stopwatch used to time Bannister’s feat was also recently auctioned.

15. Emily Seebohm, top rival to Missy Franklin, dislocates knee

May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT

Emily Seebohm Getty Images

Seebohm took silver behind Franklin in 2012 and 2013 but was faster last year.

16. Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet

May 19, 2015, 7:47 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

“They didn’t have any respect for me.”

17. Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet

May 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

AP AP

The 22-time Olympic medalist finished first or second in zero events at a meet for the first time since the Sydney 2000 Olympics.