Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Apr 8, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Jeremy Abbott Getty Images

NEW YORK — Jeremy Abbott isn’t ready to retire just yet.

The four-time U.S. champion is reconsidering a plan to walk away from competitive figure skating after the recently finished season. He cited his performance at the World Championships two weeks ago, where he finished fifth, as a motivator.

“Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”

Abbott, 28, matched his best career World Championships finish in Saitama, Japan, in his fifth World Championships appearance. He was coming off a second straight disappointing Olympic showing, taking 12th in Sochi after placing ninth in Vancouver in 2010. Abbott did win a bronze medal in the Olympic team event.

“I learned so much about myself this season, as a skater, as a competitor, more than I have in my entire career,” Abbott said in between autographing pictures and skates indoors, sheltered from plodding rain. “I really felt like I gained a lot of momentum. I kind of want to put that to use.”

Abbott was in eighth place after the short program at the World Championships but had the fourth best free skate, trailing only the gold, silver and bronze medalists.

“If that was my finale, what a way to go,” Abbott said. “If not, hopefully I have more to give.”

Abbott will continue skating no matter what. If it’s not in competitions, it will be in shows such as the ongoing Stars on Ice tour. He gained perspective on his career listening to his introduction at the first show last week.

“Olympic bronze medalist, four-time national champion” preceded his name.

“Have I really been at this that long?” he said.

Abbott has won more U.S. titles than Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir and the same number as Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano.

“I’ve always wanted to skate,” Abbott said. “If and when I decide to retire … I want to perform. I want to be on the ice. I want to continue contributing to the sport. I feel like I still have a lot to offer.”

Mirai Nagasu talks about missing Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Gwen Jorgensen wins seventh straight World Triathlon Series event

Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It marked Jorgensen’s largest margin of victory in her World Triathlon Series career.

2. Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season

Mar 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT

Meryl Davis, Charlie White Getty Images

But they haven’t decided on the 2018 Olympics.

3. Watch World Figure Skating Championships — 8 p.m. ET

Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir and Tracy Wilson are on the call.

4. Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback

Mar 28, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

How they fared against World champion Simone Biles.

5. Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth

Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”

6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals

Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Getty Images

Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.

7. U.S., Canada women’s hockey teams renew rivalry at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.

8. How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet

Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.

9. Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans

Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.

10. Madison Chock, Evan Bates take ice dance silver at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.

11. U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program

Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.

12. Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011

Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

AP AP

The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.

13. U.S. pairs outside top five after World Championships short program

Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT

AP AP

A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.

14. Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008

Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.

15. Madison Chock, Evan Bates top World Championships short dance with personal best

Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.

16. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events

Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

AP AP

The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.

17. Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid

Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.

18. Watch USA Luge video promoting fastest sport on ice

Mar 24, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

USA Luge

Olympians Erin Hamlin, Chris Mazdzer star in an inside look at the sport.

19. U.S. would top 2016 Olympic medal standings in virtual projection

Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT

Rio 2016

Tuesday marked 500 days out from the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.

20. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships women’s, ice dance events

Mar 23, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT

Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds Getty Images

Three U.S. women have a shot at the podium, and an American ice dance couple could win gold.