Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Apr 8, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Jeremy Abbott Getty Images

NEW YORK — Jeremy Abbott isn’t ready to retire just yet.

The four-time U.S. champion is reconsidering a plan to walk away from competitive figure skating after the recently finished season. He cited his performance at the World Championships two weeks ago, where he finished fifth, as a motivator.

“Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”

Abbott, 28, matched his best career World Championships finish in Saitama, Japan, in his fifth World Championships appearance. He was coming off a second straight disappointing Olympic showing, taking 12th in Sochi after placing ninth in Vancouver in 2010. Abbott did win a bronze medal in the Olympic team event.

“I learned so much about myself this season, as a skater, as a competitor, more than I have in my entire career,” Abbott said in between autographing pictures and skates indoors, sheltered from plodding rain. “I really felt like I gained a lot of momentum. I kind of want to put that to use.”

Abbott was in eighth place after the short program at the World Championships but had the fourth best free skate, trailing only the gold, silver and bronze medalists.

“If that was my finale, what a way to go,” Abbott said. “If not, hopefully I have more to give.”

Abbott will continue skating no matter what. If it’s not in competitions, it will be in shows such as the ongoing Stars on Ice tour. He gained perspective on his career listening to his introduction at the first show last week.

“Olympic bronze medalist, four-time national champion” preceded his name.

“Have I really been at this that long?” he said.

Abbott has won more U.S. titles than Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir and the same number as Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano.

“I’ve always wanted to skate,” Abbott said. “If and when I decide to retire … I want to perform. I want to be on the ice. I want to continue contributing to the sport. I feel like I still have a lot to offer.”

Mirai Nagasu talks about missing Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. France, Australia win first Youth Olympic rugby titles

Aug 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

Rugby Getty Images

First medals awarded on an Olympic stage in rugby since 1924.

2. London Olympian wins historic bronze at Youth Olympics

Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT

Lily Zhang Getty Images

Lily Zhang scored a breakthrough for U.S. table tennis.

3. U.S. Youth Olympic swimmers teammates now, college roommates later (video)

Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT

Hannah Moore Getty Images

Gold medalists Hannah Moore and Clara Smiddy will go from Nanjing to Ann Arbor.

4. Pan Pacific Championships men’s events preview

Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT

Nathan Adrian, James Magnussen Getty Images

U.S. vs. Australia in sprint head to head; outlook for Phelps and Lochte.

5. Michael Phelps scratches first two events of Pan Pacs

Aug 20, 2014, 5:34 AM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps’ debut in Australia pushed back to Friday.

6. Missy Franklin (back) in doubt for Pan Pacific Championships

Aug 20, 2014, 5:08 AM EDT

Missy Franklin Getty Images

Video of Franklin being gingerly helped away from the pool.

7. Michael Phelps takes on vocal leader role in Australia

Aug 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps also reflects on his first Olympics, also in Australia.

8. U.S. gymnast Alec Yoder wins all-around bronze at Youth Olympics

Aug 19, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Alec Yoder Getty Images

More medals could be in Indy native’s future in Nanjing.

9. Can David Wilson, ex-NFL RB, make the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team?

Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT

David Wilson AP

Former Giant must shoot for a specific distance in the triple jump.

10. Lolo Jones ends track and field season early

Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Lolo Jones AP

Summer and Winter Olympian said she has taken no breaks more than two days in the last two years.

11. Golf debuts at Youth Olympics with hole-in-one (video)

Aug 19, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT

Youth Olympics Golf

Canadian makes Olympic history with first career hole-in-one.

12. Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games (video)

Aug 19, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT

Yogging

Athletes gaining social media friends via interesting device in Nanjing.

13. Step right up: the Nanjing 2014 Video Booth

Aug 18, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT

Youth Olympics - Opening Ceremony Getty Images

Watch what happens when the world’s best teenage athletes interview themselves.

14. Usain Bolt wins his first 100m of 2014

Aug 18, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Usain Bolt

The Jamaican sprinter finishes in 10.06 on Copcabana beach, nearly half a second off his world-record pace.

15. American Sabrina Massialas wins fencing gold at Youth Olympics

Aug 17, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT

IAAF World Junior Championships - Day 3 Getty Images

Team USA won its first three medals at the Youth Olympics in Nanjing Sunday.

16. Ruta Meilutyte adds Olympic star power to Nanjing Games

Aug 16, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT

Ruta Meilutyte Getty Images

London Olympic champion begins quest for Nanjing gold Sunday.

17. Youth Olympics begin with festive Opening Ceremony in Nanjing (photos)

Aug 16, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Youth Olympics

IOC president calls on youth athletes to “set a record for selfies.”

18. Michael Phelps enters 5 events at Pan Pacific Championships

Aug 15, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Stars missing from Brazil, China, Japan and South Africa.

19. Some athletes from Ebola-hit nations barred from competing at Youth Olympics

Aug 15, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Youth Olympics Getty Images

Other athletes from those nations subject to regular temperature and physical assessment.