Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Apr 8, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Jeremy Abbott Getty Images

NEW YORK — Jeremy Abbott isn’t ready to retire just yet.

The four-time U.S. champion is reconsidering a plan to walk away from competitive figure skating after the recently finished season. He cited his performance at the World Championships two weeks ago, where he finished fifth, as a motivator.

“Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”

Abbott, 28, matched his best career World Championships finish in Saitama, Japan, in his fifth World Championships appearance. He was coming off a second straight disappointing Olympic showing, taking 12th in Sochi after placing ninth in Vancouver in 2010. Abbott did win a bronze medal in the Olympic team event.

“I learned so much about myself this season, as a skater, as a competitor, more than I have in my entire career,” Abbott said in between autographing pictures and skates indoors, sheltered from plodding rain. “I really felt like I gained a lot of momentum. I kind of want to put that to use.”

Abbott was in eighth place after the short program at the World Championships but had the fourth best free skate, trailing only the gold, silver and bronze medalists.

“If that was my finale, what a way to go,” Abbott said. “If not, hopefully I have more to give.”

Abbott will continue skating no matter what. If it’s not in competitions, it will be in shows such as the ongoing Stars on Ice tour. He gained perspective on his career listening to his introduction at the first show last week.

“Olympic bronze medalist, four-time national champion” preceded his name.

“Have I really been at this that long?” he said.

Abbott has won more U.S. titles than Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir and the same number as Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano.

“I’ve always wanted to skate,” Abbott said. “If and when I decide to retire … I want to perform. I want to be on the ice. I want to continue contributing to the sport. I feel like I still have a lot to offer.”

Mirai Nagasu talks about missing Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Tatsuki Machida leads Skate America over Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown

Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT

Tatsuki Machida Getty Images

Machida can become first repeat Skate America men’s winner since 2001.

2. Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview

Oct 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Bode Miller, Ted Ligety Getty Images

Austrian eyes history, while Ted Ligety, Bode Miller look to fill resume holes.

3. Elana Meyers Taylor to drive 4-man bobsled with husband as push athlete

Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT

Elana Meyers Taylor AP

New rule allows women to compete in four-man bobsled this year.

4. Shani Davis ‘not completely healed’ from Sochi, still eyes record

Oct 23, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT

Shani Davis Getty Images

Sochi disappointment gave Davis a deeper appreciation for past success going into post-Olympic season.

5. Allyson Felix’s patience pays off in 2014, ready to explore again in 2015

Oct 23, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT

Allyson Felix Getty Images

Felix came back from torn hamstring to post the fastest 200m time since the London Olympics.

6. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America

Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Several U.S. Olympians dot the field in Grand Prix series opener.

7. Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future

Oct 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius is banned from competing during his sentence, even if not in jail, by Paralympic and South African Olympic Committees.

8. Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview

Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Expect to see more of Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn than last year, but neither appears a threat to the world’s best overall skier.

9. Serbia protests Kosovo receiving IOC provisional recognition

Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT

Serbia flag Getty Images

Kosovo, which gained independence from Serbia in 2008, could field an Olympic delegation for the first time in 2016.

10. More Rulon Gardner items to be auctioned

Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

Rulon Gardner AP

Gardner’s Olympic medals were sold last year.

11. Joss Christensen skis remains of Sarajevo 1984 Winter Olympics sites (video)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT

Joss Christensen

Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.

12. IOC provisionally recognizes Kosovo

Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.

13. 2015 Tour de France route unveiled; favorites weigh in

Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT

Tour de France

Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.

14. Russian Olympic bobsled champ Aleksander Zubkov retires

Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT

Alexander Zubkov Getty Images

Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.

15. Jeneba Tarmoh mulls representing Sierra Leone at Rio 2016 Olympics

Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Jeneba Tarmoh Getty Images

Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.

16. IOC to discuss recognizing Kosovo this week

Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.

17. Watch trailers for ‘Touch the Wall’ about Missy Franklin

Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Missy Franklin

Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.

18. Miracle on Ice fantasy camp set for Lake Placid

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Miracle on Ice camp

Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.