Oscar Pistorius emotional, apologizes as he takes stand at murder trial (video)

Apr 7, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Oscar Pistorius took the stand for the first time on the 17th day of his murder trial, immediately apologizing to the family of Reeva Steenkamp, the girlfriend he fatally shot on Valentine’s Day 2013.

Pistorius directed his opening comments on Monday toward the Steenkamp family that was in attendance in the Pretoria courtroom, including Reeva’s mother, June.

“I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Mr. and Mrs. Steenkamp, to Reeva’s family, to those of you who knew her who are here today,” Pistorius said, standing, his voice breaking, before being interrupted by the judge to speak louder. “I’d like to apologize and say that there hasn’t been a moment since this tragedy happened that I haven’t thought about your family. I wake up every morning, and you’re the first people I think of, the first people I pray for. I can’t imagine the pain and the sorrow and the emptiness that I’ve caused you and your family. I was simply trying to protect Reeva. I can promise that when she went to bed that night, she felt loved. I’ve tried to put my words on paper many, many times, to write to you, but no words will ever suffice.”

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder locked in his bathroom when he shot four times through a locked door, hitting and killing her inside. The prosecution claims Pistorius killed Steenkamp after an argument.

He faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. If not found guilty of premeditated murder, he could be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.

Pistorius testified Monday that he never wants to handle a firearm again, or be near one. He said a security guard stands outside his door nightly, that he has lost weight and has nightmares. One night, he sought refuge inside a cupboard and called his sister, Aimee, to sit with him.

“I’m scared to sleep, for several reasons,” Pistorius said. “I have terrible memories about things that happened that night. I wake up and smell the blood. I wake up to being terrified. When I hear a noise, I wake up in a complete state of terror to a point that I’d rather not fall asleep.”

Pistorius was on the stand for about 90 minutes with a lunch break in between. Most of it was spent detailing his upbringing after being born without fibulas and having both legs amputated, his rise in track and field and his history of witnessing crime in South Africa.

“I think everybody in South Africa’s been exposed to crime at some point,” he said, noting house break-ins, carjackings and being shot at while driving on a highway.

Pistorius said he’s never taken performance-enhancing drugs but that he would drink alcohol, sometimes excessively, in the offseason.

Pistorius elected not to be shown on live streams broadcast globally, but his emotion was clear when he spoke of his mother, who died suddenly when he was 15, and of Steenkamp.

He said he did not sleep the previous night, as he was anticipated to take the stand Monday.

“I’m just tired,” Pistorius said in his final comments before his lead attorney asked for and was granted an early adjournment for the day. “It’s a lot of things, obviously, going through my mind. The weight of this is extremely overbearing, so I think it’s just a lot to think about.”

Pistorius wept after the judge left for the day and was comforted by family members, according to reports from court.

The trial is expected to resume, with Pistorius on the stand, at 3:30 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

Here’s NBC News’ coverage of the Pistorius trial.

Here’s Pistorius taking the stand and emotionally apologizing to the Steenkamp family:

Here’s Pistorius talking about his state of mind after not sleeping Sunday night:

Kenenisa Bekele wins marathon debut in Paris

Latest Posts
  1. Watch Drake Relays, Penn Relays on NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday

Apr 24, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Several Olympic champions are in the fields at the two meets.

2. Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman

Apr 24, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has followed Bowman to an NCAA stop before.

3. Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more

Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles is in the middle of a four-month break from competition.

4. Sled hockey helps Josh Sweeney in his recovery (video)

Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney Getty Images

Sweeney and Team USA begin World Championship play Sunday.

5. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir headed to White House Correspondents’ Dinner, Kentucky Derby

Apr 24, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

NBC’s figure skating analysts will be visible daily during Kentucky Derby week.

6. New MLB commissioner wants long-term baseball pledge from Olympics

Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

AP AP

But he also shares the sentiment of Bud Selig on MLB participation.

7. Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’

Apr 23, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Doug E. Doug Getty Images

Doug wasn’t allowed to bobsled while filming, but he recently took his first run.

8. Meb Keflezighi hopes to be an example for Ryan Hall as Olympic trials approach

Apr 23, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

AP AP

“It depends who you ask,” Keflezighi said of the U.S. Olympic Trials favorite.

9. U.S. Olympic Wrestling Trials to return to Iowa City

Apr 23, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT

Jordan Burroughs Getty Images

Two Olympic champions appear headed for a second Olympics, while a World champion seeks a first Olympic berth.

10. Paul Wylie ‘resting comfortably’ after heart problem

Apr 22, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Paul Wylie Getty Images

Wylie had a “heart abnormality while exercising,” his wife said.

11. Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men

Apr 22, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Nadia Comaneci Getty Images

Comaneci, the subject of a Katie Holmes-directed documentary, discussed current gymnastics topics.

12. Larry Bird, David Ortiz among Boston 2024 board of directors

Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT

Larry Bird Getty Images

U.S. Olympic marathon and figure skating medalists are also in the group.

13. Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016

Apr 22, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT

Arthur Zanetti Getty Images

Included are some potential U.S.-Brazil duels.

14. Sweden mulls 2026 Winter Olympic bid

Apr 22, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Sweden Getty Images

Sweden scrapped a bid for 2022, and a joint Norway-Sweden bid has also been proposed.

15. Figure skaters recall odd gifts from fans

Apr 21, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT

Figure skating gifts Getty Images

Michelle Kwan, Meryl Davis, Evan Lysacek and more Olympians tell their memorable stories.

16. Runner finishes Boston Marathon on Tuesday morning

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Maickel Melamed

The inspirational Maickel Melamed needed 20 hours to finish.

17. True St. Louis Marathon winner breaks tape at Busch Stadium (video)

Apr 21, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

AP AP

Andrea Karl didn’t break the tape on marathon day because another runner jumped on the course late in the race.

18. French Swimming Federation official refutes Amaury Leveaux’s claim

Apr 21, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Leveaux said in a book that team members used cocaine.